Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

A hand-wringing question . .please

(8 Posts)
siblingrivalry Wed 24-Sep-08 20:10:03

Hi. DD1 is hand wringing a lot lately. She interlocks her fingers and sort of 'twists'.
Anyway, tonight I noiced that the insides of her fingers on both hands are red raw where they have rubbed togeher. The skin is off and looks ready to bleed sad.
Does anyone have any idea of alternatives I can show her and 'encourage' her to try. Another MNer gave me a good idea yesterday about using the thumb of one hand to massage the palm of the other (IYKWIM) but dd says it tickles!

I would be grateful for any ideas. She has her ADOS tomorrow, so I can ask for advice a CAMHS, but I know that the advice I get here will be a lot more practical.

TIA X

siblingrivalry Wed 24-Sep-08 21:26:58

Bump!smile

Seuss Wed 24-Sep-08 21:43:55

Tricky - you could try putting emollient cream on (easier said than done if anything like my ds) would soothe the sores and make hands too greasy to damage further for a while. I dunno if that would work at all but it's what I do when ds is scratching his exzema (spelling??) a lot and also works as an aversion therapy cos he hates having cream put on!

magso Wed 24-Sep-08 21:49:55

Would fidlding (stretching and squishing) blutac or a fiddle toy divert? ( Ds has a tube from John Lewis with blue jelly and fish inside which can be satisfyingly tactile)

siblingrivalry Wed 24-Sep-08 21:50:52

That's an idea, thanks Seuss. It would reduce the friction. I just don't know what would happen after she's washed her hands a few times at school. [wishful thinking emotican - washing hands after loo?!]

Seuss Wed 24-Sep-08 21:52:51

lol - I was just about to say 'your child washes her hands???'

Magsos is a good idea.

Seuss Wed 24-Sep-08 21:55:15

gotta go but will give it some thought!

siblingrivalry Wed 24-Sep-08 22:04:52

Magso, am going to ask her teacher about blutac. They might no let her hold a toy - will have to see what they say. It's a good idea for home though.
Short of tying her hands behind her back, I can't see a way of stopping her doing it in the short term. Thankyou for posting x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now