Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I separate from DP?

(6 Posts)
ntt Tue 23-Sep-08 21:58:05

Hi, he owns the house, I'm not on the deeds or anything. I don't think he cares if I stay here or if he does. However, he cannot afford to pay the mortgage and rent for me or him. I have a 4 month old baby and a 3 year old with cerebral palsy, just to make life that bit simpler(!). No way can we put the house on the market as he only bought it last year and it's gone down in value, can't afford to lose that amount of money.

I would leave, but don't know where to go, having no family. Thought I might be eligible for adapted trust or council housing, but apparently not as I'd be making myself "intentionally homeless". I'm actually at my wit's end. We desperately need to live apart, but I don't know what to do. And as usual, it's up to me to sort it all out. Social worker couldn't offer any suggestions either.

Anyone able to offer any advise?

ntt Tue 23-Sep-08 21:59:02

Oops, <advice>.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 22:02:37

afraid all I can think of is whether your nearest branch of shelter might be any good. also have you looked into what tax credits you would be entitled to?

StudentMadwife Tue 23-Sep-08 23:54:17

He needs to ring up the council and inform them hes kicking you out, you then need to present yourself and children at their offices as homeless, then they have no choice but to give you some sort of temporary accomodation as you wouldnt have intentially made yourself homeless. You would end up in B+B or a hostel for families until being rehoused.

It really depends on where you live in the country, in some places such as inner city areas housing waiting lists are into 4 figuresshock in which case you could end up in temp accom for a long time, in other ares though the lists are shorter and a single mum with children and a sn child would occur alot of points and you would be housed fairly rapidly (1-4months approx in my area for someone in your situation).

Obviously I dont know your situation or circumstance, but its an option if things are at breaking point.

ntt Wed 24-Sep-08 09:51:53

Right, thanks. I don't think I could put my kids through that tbh. DS1 would freak, plus he has such a lot of equipment that he is totally dependent on. It would be so unfair to put him into a B&B type of environment. What would happen if Dp were to leave? Does anyone know if I might be entitled to help so I could rent the house from him?

madmouse Wed 24-Sep-08 11:45:17

Go and see a solicitor to get advice on your position. Depending on your income you may qualify for free advice if you find one that offers Legal Help.

By the way I do not know who told you that you would make yourself intentionallly homeless when you separate from your dh, but they were very wrong indeed!

Social worker no good typical!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now