Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Should I get another SALT assessment?

(12 Posts)
millymoomoo Tue 23-Sep-08 20:57:49

Please could someone advise me whether it sounds as though my DD (2.10 years) could have ongoing speech/communication problems? DD was virtually mute until she just turned 2.5. She spoke a few non-emotive words occasionally, but seemed to forget them after a while and not use them again. I had her assessed privately by a SALT who said she had an SLI and advised referral into the NHS system. Shortly after the assessment my DD woke up one day and started calling me "mummy" - which she'd never said before - and her speech seemed to take off from there. Recently I have been getting concerned about her again as she NEVER speaks to anyone other than me. She does not seem shy with others (although does appear somewhat 'odd' with other children, she almost seems to 'study' them and comments about them to me). She has never waved hello or goodbye and never says "yes". She can be incredibly strong-willed, but I would not say she has many tantrums and never seems to get frustrated. I understand virtually everything she says but have realised lately that she says very few words 'correctly'. If I wasn't with her all the time I don't think I'd understand her. Sorry if this is really waffly! Oh, despite all this, she seems quite bright and normal in all other ways. Lastly (!) our GP flatly refused to refer her to the S&L Dept (saying she'd grow out of any problems). I was going to refer her myself but she started speaking in the meantime so I didn't bother. Thanks!

nuru Tue 23-Sep-08 21:37:43

If I were you, I would self-refer to the SLTs - even though she has started talking, they will be able to advise you on ways to encourage her further, and will be able to observe her development over a course of time. Hopefully she will sort herself out, but if she does need some support, at least you will be in the system.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 21:40:13

Yes, definitely try and get a referral. Find out if your local department accepts referrals from parents. If not, try another GP or the HV.

bullet123 Tue 23-Sep-08 21:44:46

No harm i ngetting a referral.

millymoomoo Tue 23-Sep-08 21:45:50

Thanks nuru and TotalChaos. I think I will refer DD. I don't want to waste anyone's time , but it is becoming more apparent to me - and others actually - that she could have some difficulties.

Tclanger Tue 23-Sep-08 21:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

millymoomoo Tue 23-Sep-08 22:12:45

My little girl says the very occasional word or two to her dad or grandad, otherwise has never, ever spoken to anybody else. She talks a great deal to me now - not necessarily clearly - and talks about others in front of them to me. She understands everything. Tclanger, what help do you get with your son?

Tclanger Tue 23-Sep-08 22:32:04

Tclanger Tue 23-Sep-08 22:34:08

millymoomoo Tue 23-Sep-08 22:48:55

Thank you so much, Tclanger! Just took a quick peek at your blog and it looks fascinating. I will certainly make sure I get a referral and will be interested in following up some of the resources you mention. I can't imagine what you must have been through to have got to where you are today... All the very best with your son x

Tclanger Wed 24-Sep-08 07:51:16

BriocheDoree Wed 24-Sep-08 08:56:31

Hi Millymoomoo, welcome to the SN board. I would second what Tclanger is saying about getting more SALT if you can. My daughter is 4.4 and also has something like SLI (I don't have a definite diagnosis but from reading symptoms it's that sort of thing). She has been seeing private SALT since 3.5 and is making slow progress, but also only speaks to people she knows well (me, her Dad, her grandparents). It might get harder for your little girl when she starts nursery / school because then her inability to understand and to speak as well as the others will become more frustrating for her so I also wouldn't really agree with what your GP is saying. However, you're fortunate to have found out now that she has a problem, and she'll be a good age to respond to help!
Let us know how you get on.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now