Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question for Moondog or anyone else with views about SALT assessment

(11 Posts)
TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 16:43:27

Just how accurate are tests like CELF and Renfrew picture action test? I feel that they are not really very well placed to look at the semantic/pragmatic side of things, as they are not exactly a genuine conversation are they? I'm particularly concerned because DS is now hitting normal range in CELF and Renfrew, but I definitely feel he is still delayed - his sentence length is OK, but range of vocab is somewhat limited, and ability to respond conversationally is really not like others his age.

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 19:03:49

moondog Wed 24-Sep-08 23:09:29

No you are dead right.
They are accurate in that they are standardised assessments but they will not pick up on the funny quirky semantic/pragmatic bits.

Ther is a nice simple to administer profile that addresses this called The Pragmatics Profile but tbh I haven't focussed on this sort of work for a while.

Discuss your feelings with SALT, or have you already?

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 23:11:50

Many thanks MD! I have addressed this briefly with SALT - answer was along the lines of - well it's only so recently that his expressive and receptive have improved, that it will take more time for the conversational improvements to happen. Haven't had the written CELF report through yet, so aim to question her again once I have that.

moondog Wed 24-Sep-08 23:33:59

I bet they tremble when you come in wit your astute questioning!
Good for you!

bonkerz Fri 26-Sep-08 10:17:19

TC, My DS has just had his SALT referral done to look at SPD and he is now on the waiting list. What should i be asking then????

DesperateHousewifeToo Fri 26-Sep-08 10:41:51

Any salt worth her salt(!) would want to know how a child is functioning in various situations and not just in a formal assessment.

Of course, a clinic environment does make this difficult, hence the need for school visits/conversations with teachers.

If your child has slt within school, the therapist should have a better idea of their functional language, if not, I would keep a note of difficulties to point out to her.

Good to hear that your dc is making progress though.

TotalChaos Fri 26-Sep-08 16:16:25

Thanks DHT. I haven't had the written report through yet, so should wait for that before getting myself too het up.

Bonkerz - have you seen this website -

www.spdsupport.org.uk/whatisspd.html

bonkerz Sun 28-Sep-08 09:12:38

not seen that site TC thankyou , may help me understand it a bit more!

mogwai Sun 28-Sep-08 09:16:13

I'm an SLT and I particularly like the Childrens Communication Checklist (CCC) for picking up these sorts of issues. Ask your SLT whether they have one of these in the department.

TotalChaos Sun 28-Sep-08 09:21:42

thanks for the tip mogwai smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now