Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

i'm so annoyed

(22 Posts)
bubblagirl Tue 23-Sep-08 11:51:51

eduaction panel was supposed to of made decision fri over what time he gets allocated and its been delayed for 2 more weeks so upset really just want him to get some help npw for a yr and hlf now we have had no help no speech therapy so was hoping this would all be set up and ready to go

apparantly speech therapist will be in touch soon regarding his therapy she has annoyed me everyone seems to be defending her saying oh if the understanding isnt there they wont do therapy but his been talking since 2 not much but was still talking surely you could work on that speech sounds have been atypical since then could they not work on that he is now 3.5 and still nothing

i feel so sorry for him as really dont want him to be so behind because other people dont have time or money to help us

sorry rant over

on the other side of things dla form has finally been sent by pre school so waiting for outcome only been 4 mths nearly now lol

also if anyone uses eye q chews for there little ones i just got 360 from seller on ebay for 17.99 in shops 22.99 for 180 cost with postage 20.99 for 360 thought id tell you as it can get so expensive

well i'm going to get ready to pick ds up from pre school now sorry to vent but i only have you guys to do it too

i love my little boy so much and really feel we are not important to these people this is such a crucial yr for him it breaks my heart to see the struggles he has yet to face when they could of been overcome by now

Also we have been sedingn him in pants to pre school and his been coming out dry bless him he has been holding it but pleased he has gained some control bless his heart its good he seems to be doing so well by his self but he shouldnt have to and would excel more with the right help were so far behind peers still

bubblagirl Tue 23-Sep-08 11:52:28

sorry for typos

magso Tue 23-Sep-08 12:04:10

Just to say sorry the panel have delayed and understand how disopionting and frustrating it must be! Hang on in there!
( If no SALT forthcoming can you get SALT advice privatly just to tide you over - we did this as ds refused salt as not at 3 word sentance level but he was rising 4 and school looming!!!)

magso Tue 23-Sep-08 12:04:55

beat you on the typos!!

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 12:08:59

god and I thought my city was dire for NHS SALT.... sorry you are being pissed about so much. Out of interest, what other professionals are agreeing with the SALT department line about not doing therapy?

There is a lot you can do at home to help your DS's speech - if you can spare £150 for private SALT assessment and report and plan of work, it would be money well spent if you find the right one to start you off on it. otherwise the hanen book is great for the speech delay side of things but not the phonology.

also - on here a while back someone put on here that if a child hadn;t had NHS SALT in a certain length of time then a charity - think it was Cerebra - would give money towards private speech therapy.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 12:56:53

"oh if the understanding isnt there they wont do therapy" I have REAL issues with this- because its not even understanding, it's if understanding can;t be demonstrated in a strange room with unknown people - but yes this is unfortunately policy in many areas.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 12:58:30

Who was it who was offering free private SALT? It wasn't BIBIC but it was someone like them, offering vouchers.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 12:58:46

cerebra maybe?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 23-Sep-08 13:01:18

yes see here. A better bet than the NHS. Many MHS trusts use something called the Malcomess care aims model to decide who is going to get treatment. If your child doesn't play ball with a strange person in an initial assessment you have no chance. It is wrong wrong wrong.

We got caught out in this many years ago and had to pay for private SALT (which was far better than the NHS offering anyway tbh). The Cerebra vouchers might be the way to go.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 23-Sep-08 13:04:44

bubblagirl

Am sorry to read the education panel is still sitting on a decision for another two weeks (do you know exactly why its been delayed?).

I'm not a million miles away from you in your part of Essex, which speech therapist are you watiting on (its not Hennie is it?).

Have you been in touch with SNAP lately - they're in Brentwood and so is Portage.

HTH a bit

Attila

bubblagirl Tue 23-Sep-08 16:05:29

thanks for all your kind words i go to snap every monday and fri so they have been helpful cannot afford private until dla money comes through so thats where the frustration is still waiting on everything

apparantly when i picked ds up today SALT had been in and said she was going to contact me then they continued to feed me twoddle on how SALT cannot be given with lack of understanding blah blah blah yet my cousins boy few years ago was given course of SALT and spech was worse than ds

which leads me to believe its time and resources thata re going against us of course she isnt going to say i havent got time or money for you but i wish she would then i can seek help else where instead of waiting but lets hope she will do something now

bubblagirl Tue 23-Sep-08 16:06:12

oh panel is due to woman being on holiday damn her for having a social life grin

Tclanger Tue 23-Sep-08 16:10:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 16:37:05

by lack of understanding do they mean a child that has receptive language problems? from what you have described in previous posts, bubbla's language is better than DS's was at that age, so I imagine his understanding would be no worse. When DS was on SALT waiting list, his receptive language was at 1 to 2 word level. And this summer my city ran groups for kids whose understanding was at 2 word level. So I think your experience is absolutely shocking.

TotalChaos Tue 23-Sep-08 16:46:36

just another thought - DS's improvement in language is pretty much down to a combination of luck, private SALT and my work with him. NHS therapy has played a very minor part in all this. The really turning point for DS was when private SALT recommended we used PECs to help him build sentenes. Once he could see how simple requests were made visually, he got the hang of generating spontaneous sentences.

bubblagirl Tue 23-Sep-08 17:40:19

my ds was on 1-2 word level and this is when she said his understanding want good enough

actually what was also said was you cant teach a 2 yr old to talk like a 3 yr old as his level was yr behind and i said no but you can teach a 2 yr old how to talk like a 2 yr old drives me mad

his coming along but have noticed his speech is becoming jumbled again having trouble understanding him i know he did this before then had leap in development so i hope thats what it is

thats why i thought best stock up on eye q to help him well hopefully

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 09:31:57

bubbla - could you e-mail me - milkfloatquack at hotmail dot com - might be able to send you something useful.

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 09:35:03

have e mailed you thank you so much for being so helpful and for caring xx

magso Wed 24-Sep-08 09:47:14

Private SALT was invaluable because it taught me how to not only do his therapy but think like a therapist - and be constantly throwing things into everyday life (like adding 2 then 3 word listening and sitting skills into our play). We also used pictures although I had no formal training just copied what I saw the SALT do! Hope your nhs salt comes through soon - or the dla money! Nhs SALT when it started was too little (once a term no TA to continue at school) too late although it is better now he is in a special school.

bubblagirl Wed 24-Sep-08 09:52:59

thank you im hoping for dla so i can arrange through snap a private SALT as i want ds speech assessed as think he may have dyspraxia also as speech sounds have always been abnormal for yr half this has been noticed yet nothing done

TotalChaos Wed 24-Sep-08 11:43:35

if you can get on a Hanen course then that will do similar to what magso has described of private SALT.

bubblagirl Sat 27-Sep-08 09:50:10

i received the paper work you sent me thank you so much really appreciate it xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now