Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Word Finding Difficulties

(5 Posts)
rivchdesigns67 Mon 22-Sep-08 16:37:23

Does anyone have a child with word finding difficulties who could give me some advice. e.g has school recognised or given any help. Have speech therapists helped at all? My son has been diagnosed but that appears to be as far as I can get. No one wants to do anything about it aand school ignore completely as not classed as special needs child and therefore no funding!!!!!

magso Mon 22-Sep-08 17:08:21

Is there anything you think would help your child in school? Has or could a therapist/SALT recommended anything that could be passed on to the teacher? Would an IEP help? School action does not attract funding but can help to set up stratagies via an IEP..
My son struggles to find words as part of his profound speech delay (asd s/mld). We prompt him to find another way of saying/signing it. Ds is in special school so most the class have similar struggles.
I (no sn) always had word finding difficulties and as a child used to keep a list of words I frequently needed to recall. This was no use for less common words.
Also has dyslexia been rules out - I have a vague recollection the two problems sometimes go together.

Tclanger Mon 22-Sep-08 21:41:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rivchdesigns67 Wed 01-Oct-08 14:20:10

Thank you for your messages. You have given me the confidence to pressure SALT and the school and this time I will not be fobbed off. We were given an IEP when my son started school age 3 (now age 5) which has never been updated. SALT say school should be helping him so they don't need to. School say they don't have the staff/funding. Watch out both of you, I will not let this drop!!!!

misscutandstick Wed 01-Oct-08 14:52:26

just wanted to wish you luck! stick to your guns and make sure you get the help that your son deserves!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now