Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is "stimming" always associated with ASD?

(9 Posts)
bunny2 Fri 25-Feb-05 21:17:19

Ds, 4 flaps, rocks and hops when excited - in school he also does this when anxious and appreantly much more frequently than at home. The school are concenrned and the SENCO is going to observe him next week. I have read and read all I can about ASD but he just doesnt seem to fit into the spectrum. Can / do non-ASD children stim?

JakB Fri 25-Feb-05 21:24:37

Bunny, in short, I don't know. But what I do know is that my dd (severely autistic) 'stims' not just when excited or stressed but when she has no direction or nothing to occupy her time. I often see children 'stimming' (rocking, hopping, hooting), infact, don't we all do it? But I think, certainly with my dd, stimming IS her way of being unless otherwise directed. Does that make sense? Davros? Jimjams?!
How is your ds apart from the rocking and hopping? Bless him...

Socci Fri 25-Feb-05 22:13:53

Message withdrawn

bunny2 Fri 25-Feb-05 23:22:48

thanks for your responses. Apart from stimming, ds doesnt really exhibit any other symptoms - he is talkative, articulate, sociable, popular, makes good eye-contact, is good at imaginary play etc so he doesnt seem to fit onto the spectrum. We have always accepted his odd behaviour as slightly eccentric and endearing but the school seem to be suggesting it is something we should be worried about.

Can you explain "hard to move on from a stim" do you mean, once they start, they wont stop until they have worked there way through it? I can gently dissuade ds from stiming be holding his hands, if I ask him why he is flapping/rocking whatever, he usually answer "Im excited Mummy" He can be stopped but only by physical intervention, when he is stimming he doesnt seem to hear what I am saying.

Socci Sat 26-Feb-05 04:39:27

Message withdrawn

bunny2 Sat 26-Feb-05 14:49:03

Hi Socci - the school are concerned because ds often appears to be in a a world of his own (He is 4, dont know what they expect!), cant put his coat on without help (he can but often back to front or upside down) and because he rocks and flaps. I know some children of his age still have trouble with coats and I know he is not the only daydreamer which is why I presume it is the stimming which causes thme the most concern. his stimming episodes only last seconds and then he moves on so it hasnt really been a cause for concern till now.

coppertop Sat 26-Feb-05 15:15:43

I don't know for certain but I would be very surprised if stimming was restricted purely to people with ASD. After all, lots of young NT children rock, head-bang etc.

If his social skills, communication and imaginary play are all fine then I would say that the chances of him having ASD are pretty much non-existent tbh.

Ds1 is in Reception and from what I can see pretty much all of the children in his class need some degree of help with their coats - even the older ones who turned 5 early in the school year.

bunny2 Sat 26-Feb-05 21:24:48

coppertop, your message is really reassuring, thank you so much

MrsFROSTgetful Sat 26-Feb-05 23:05:18

i agree....even in yr 1 kids still need help with coats...shoes etc.

if he is ASD ...i say 'IF'....then maybe it is 'mild' and may show more as he gets to age 6 (the Magic Age...when they suddenly stop getting party invites etc)

i say this because something like 'Asperger's' can be fairly 'well hidden' till age 6/7...

however i stress 'maybe' here....he may jsut be a child who stims!!!

However...try to see the SENCO's interest as good....as 'If' he is mildly ASD...then even if it's not for another of couple of years till he starts to have difficulties....at least you won't be having to persuade the teachers as i have had to do with both ds2 and 3 (ds1 and 2 have AS)

when ds3 started school i really totally believed he was 100% NT...then over the last year i have noticed him 'change'...t- i can remember EXACTLY what started me 'wondering' about him 'maybe' being AS...and that was (and is still the case)...he always chooses Non-Fiction books....and always about anilmal...usually cats...and alot of autistic kids prefer non-fiction.

so don't panic about the observation...he is young and i expect much is just a 'maturity' issue...but keep alert to subtle chnges- and you can't go wrong!!!

He's lucky to have u as his mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now