Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Jury Summons - anyone else been excused?

(17 Posts)
MannyMoeAndJack Thu 18-Sep-08 10:28:02

I've been summonsed to go and do Jury Duty!!

I am my ds's main carer so I need to be excused (not just deferred).

Has anyone else been in this situation? Was it straightforward to get excused?

magso Thu 18-Sep-08 10:58:46

Yes. When ds was 2 - 3. I was his main carer and there was no alternative. I had (IIRC) to write back to explain why no one else could care for ds ie that a nursery could not do so. They excused me but said they would not do so in the future. I know of friends who have been excused due to work commitments such as providing an essential service (sole therapist in rural practice) also.

busybeingmum Thu 18-Sep-08 12:49:15

Message withdrawn

Claire236 Thu 18-Sep-08 12:57:55

I was summonsed for a period when I had a holiday booked. Only wanted to be deferred but was excused over the phone.

r3dh3d Thu 18-Sep-08 13:24:36

Yes.

I think it helped that DD1 at the time had such a complex, high-maintenance and medically necessary diet - my argument was that pretty much no-one else was trained to keep her alive. That was 3 or 4 years ago - haven't heard from them since.

PheasantPlucker Thu 18-Sep-08 14:07:37

Yes, have been excused as dd1 has quite complex care needs. Was called a year ago, I wrote to them and they excused me almost by return of post.

cyberseraphim Thu 18-Sep-08 14:39:52

A doctor's letter should be enough - it should be very straight forward.

Nat1H Thu 18-Sep-08 14:46:59

I have been excused twice! Dead easy smile

MannyMoeAndJack Thu 18-Sep-08 14:54:58

Thanks for all your replies....cyber, is it necessary to get a doctor's letter or will my letter suffice? I have to reply within 7 days and I'm not sure it would be that quick to obtain a doc's letter...

cyberseraphim Thu 18-Sep-08 15:31:21

I just sent back the form giving the reason I could not go - the reason was not SN related but I never heard from them again - 3 times. I really don't think they would challenge a reason like yours

cyberseraphim Thu 18-Sep-08 15:34:34

I just thought doctor's letter would help if you were worried about what to say but really don't think it is in any way necessary.

magso Thu 18-Sep-08 15:42:03

I didnt need a doctors letter either. Just my own explanation.

PheasantPlucker Thu 18-Sep-08 17:14:46

I didn't need/send a doctor's note.

busybeingmum Thu 18-Sep-08 21:03:46

Message withdrawn

platypussy Thu 18-Sep-08 21:18:44

My dad was excused for medical reasons - didnt need a doctors letter.

Onlyjoking Thu 18-Sep-08 21:42:13

i don't think you will need a doctors letter,
i go a jury summons the day my husband died.
i was excused not defered when i mentioned having 3 kids with autism.

MannyMoeAndJack Fri 19-Sep-08 20:04:27

Many thanks for all your replies, very helpful. I will add my ds's paed's contact details on my letter in case they want further information.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now