Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Teaching reading/letter recognition to children with LD

(6 Posts)
Nat1H Wed 17-Sep-08 21:21:28

Are there any good schemes that are aimed specifically at children with LD?
Oh, and that are affordable!

TotalChaos Wed 17-Sep-08 22:25:13

headsprout computer program may be of use? there's a free trial of first three lessons at www.headsprout.com.

magso Wed 17-Sep-08 22:34:20

I'll be interested in this too! I bought the Dancing bears series ( from Syntheticphonics.com)which is aimed (IIRC)at children with reading abilities around the first centile, but found it is too hard for ds to get started even on the first book. However I might try it again as ds has started to identify beginning and end sounds and can identify most letters now. Major breakthrough!

Christie Wed 17-Sep-08 22:48:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PheasantPlucker Wed 17-Sep-08 22:59:22

DD's OT has just brought 'handwriting without tears' for her to use at school to hopefully learn to read and write. However, it only came yesterday, and as yet I know nothing really about it.

TotalChaos Thu 18-Sep-08 09:39:20

thanks for that most useful link Christie. DS is probably a little young for me to be fretting (just started reception), but I anticipate he will have a great deal of difficulty with identifying the beginning and end sounds and rhymes - he is a very visual learner, and I suspect has auditory processing difficulties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now