Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

jim-jams or anyone who knows about pdd-nos?

(9 Posts)
Peachy Wed 17-Sep-08 16:18:48

ds3 saw Paed Monday. She is doing an it- based ADI hopefully within the month, and if not conclusive maybe referring to psych for pdd-nos, as she doesn't think of pdd-nos as spectrum based?

I thought it was?

any info you know of please?

cyberseraphim Wed 17-Sep-08 16:44:39

www.childbrain.com/pddq3.shtml

explains it - on the basis of DSM criteria, autism, aspergers are defined as forms of pervasive disorders - PDD NOS is a residual classification. I'm not sure how it relates to the UK classification of the autistic spectrum (Lorna Wing etc)

TotalChaos Wed 17-Sep-08 19:11:33

I always thought it was spectrum based too. hope the DX makes a difference to support for DS3.

cyberseraphim Wed 17-Sep-08 19:19:19

www.autism.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1049&a=3372

Some info from NAS

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 17-Sep-08 21:56:35

In the UK it tends to be used as 'not quite fitting the full ASD criteria'. BUt it will vary a bit from paed to paed.

Peachy Thu 18-Sep-08 09:27:46

Well yes jimjams thats what I thought. Basically he fits criteria (and I think I knowwhat jimjams will say about her ds and up to date paeds lol) but he has a sense of humour hich she says is a no-no for asd. The most severely asd chap I ever met (in a unit, full 1-1 carer) ad a wicked sense of humour but there you go. A dx would be fab.

Peachy Thu 18-Sep-08 09:28:09

ooops sorry cyber, tanks for those links

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 18-Sep-08 10:59:21

Ask her where 'no sense of humour' is on the diagnostic checklist.

Funnily enough (ha ha) I'm just starting a study on laughter and severe autism. SOH seems all well and functioning in the main. What odd and unusual ideas paeds get....

Peachy Thu 18-Sep-08 12:37:10

I'm hoping the IT based ADI checklist gets beyond those precnceptions jimjams ans she has no 'personal' input iyswim?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now