Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What now? Statementing

(11 Posts)
Socci Thu 24-Feb-05 21:20:18

Message withdrawn

JaysMum Thu 24-Feb-05 21:34:29

start of by saying that your child is due to start school/nursery on xxxxdate and due to her diagnosis ofxxxxxxxxxx this causes problems in the areas of xxxxxxxx and you feel that your daughter should request a stat ass of your daughter SEN with immediate effect.

I would photocopy any reports you have and send them along as supporting evidence.

Good Luck...

Socci Thu 24-Feb-05 21:54:50

Message withdrawn

Davros Fri 25-Feb-05 08:29:34

Times seem to have changed. When I requested DS's Statement I just wrote about 2 lines "I request blah blah, under Act blah..." and I didn't send any evidence or reports. It was very easy! I suppose you should send in what you've got as it might help if you have to appeal. I would just leave out that part, maybe not put that she will be going to nursery as maybe she won't, esp if she is on a home prog, that might be something you will be working on in the future with a statement. Just get it into them though, that's the important thing. AND send it Recorded Delivery and keep a copy!

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 09:40:14

Hi- i found this Suggested format to help us in writing the letter for: PARENTAL REQUEST FOR A STATUTORY ASSESSMENT:

Suggested format for letter:

Letter should be addressed to:

Additional Educational Needs Manager at your Local Education Office

You may like to include some or all of the following:

Child's Name and Date of Birth
Name of School (if school aged)
1st Paragraph: I am writing to request that the LEA carry out a Statutory Assessment on my son's/daughter's special educational needs under Section 323 in Part IV of The Education Act 1996, as is my right under Section 329.
2nd Paragraph: A description of your child's difficulties/past history/medical diagnosis if relevant.
3rd Paragraph: The current provision your child receives:
e.g. pre-schoolschool: outside agencies involved, 1:1 helper, portage, what type of support your child gets, how much, who from, how long, a copy of Individual Education Plan (if available)speech therapy, physiotherapy, health and social services.
4th Paragraph: include detailed reasons why you think current provision is not meeting child's needs with evidence of lack of progress.

The LEA must take all parental requests seriously and take action immediately.

It should give notice in writing to the Social Services Department, the area Health Authority and the Headteacher of the child's school that the request has been made.

It should also ask the school for written evidence about the child; the school's assessment of the child's learning difficulties and the school's account of the special educational provision that has been made.

The LEA has 6 weeks from receipt of the request to notify parents of the decision whether or not to make an assessment.

:

Letter should be addressed to:

Additional Educational Needs Manager at your Local Education Office

You may like to include some or all of the following:

Child's Name and Date of Birth
Name of School (if school aged)
1st Paragraph: I am writing to request that the LEA carry out a Statutory Assessment on my son's/daughter's special educational needs under Section 323 in Part IV of The Education Act 1996, as is my right under Section 329.
2nd Paragraph: A description of your child's difficulties/past history/medical diagnosis if relevant.
3rd Paragraph: The current provision your child receives:
e.g. pre-schoolschool: outside agencies involved, 1:1 helper, portage, what type of support your child gets, how much, who from, how long, a copy of Individual Education Plan (if available)speech therapy, physiotherapy, health and social services.
4th Paragraph: include detailed reasons why you think current provision is not meeting child's needs with evidence of lack of progress.

The LEA must take all parental requests seriously and take action immediately.

It should give notice in writing to the Social Services Department, the area Health Authority and the Headteacher of the child's school that the request has been made.

It should also ask the school for written evidence about the child; the school's assessment of the child's learning difficulties and the school's account of the special educational provision that has been made.

The LEA has 6 weeks from receipt of the request to notify parents of the decision whether or not to make an assessment.

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 10:04:43

IPSEA offer a letter suggestion too...and if you use this address ...it opens a word document that you can edit to include the child's name etc.

http://www.ipsea.org.uk/supportsheet2.doc

heartinthecountry Fri 25-Feb-05 10:19:59

Socci - I just had to do this for dd. I ignored the form they sent me as it was all related to her current educational setting and she doesn't have one!

I wrote a longish letter setting out what I felt her needs were, what kind of extra support I felt she would need in order to be able to access a school curriculum. I dropped in quite a lot of stuff that would hint towards her needing ABA but without mentioning it e.g 'she responds well to adult praise' and 'she has a poor attention span but this is greatly increased when she has one-to-one interaction'.

I am away this weekend (and at work today) but could email you a copy early next week if that would help.

By the way I have photocopied that other stuff for you but keep forgetting to post it. Sorry .

Socci Fri 25-Feb-05 13:24:10

Message withdrawn

JakB Fri 25-Feb-05 13:43:09

Socci, bloody confusing forms!!! Yeah, I explained that dd didn't have a current educational setting and that she was unable to learn effectively in a nursery environment due to her autism (hence argument for intensive one-to-one through ABA). I emphasised her lack of concentration skills, lack of playskills, total lack of communication skills, inability to take part in group work, inability to take turns, no sense of danger (ie: needs total one-on-one) etc etc rant... rant... rant... Basically, at this point, dd lacked the skills to learn and to be safe in a 'pre-school' setting...
Hope you are Ok. CAT me if you want love.X

Socci Fri 25-Feb-05 17:33:37

Message withdrawn

JakB Fri 25-Feb-05 21:21:45

Fine, drunk, bit stressed (dd stressy messy tonight). Apart from that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now