Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Do you ever have days where you end up in tears with frustration?

(9 Posts)
AmIWhatAndWhy Mon 15-Sep-08 21:55:58

And then feel horribly guilty about it later?

Am I expecting too much?

DS had his second day at preschool, he did really well. The only issue was he wouldn't sit for storytime, but he's very new to it so it's not a concern.

We had a lovely time in the park on the way home, then as soon as we got home all hell broke loose.

He repeatedly took food from mine and DD's plates during lunch, ending in him pushing DD off her chair to grab her sandwich. He then didn't want to do anything with me. I tried trains, painting, puzzles, books, but he just ran off and spat on the washing machine drum(one of his habits)

Whilst I was cooking dinner he trashed their room, tipping the beds over, books ripped etc. He then refused to eat dinner unless he could hold every bit of cutlery on the table. It took two hours for them to finish.

Bathtime was written off, and he's currently still awake, yelling DD's name. Oh, and he hasn't spoken a single word to me all day or acknowledged anything I've said to him.

Is it the change that's amplifying his behaviours? It could also be that I'm stressed, as DP is away with work this week.

anonandlikeit Mon 15-Sep-08 22:04:24

Sorry you've had such a crap day.
I know for ds2 trying to comply all day in a structured setting can mean it all gets released once he gets home.
For ds2 its just sensory/ocd type obsessions rather than aggression.

Does he get time & space to run about without structure at preschool?

AmIWhatAndWhy Mon 15-Sep-08 22:10:24

Yes, thanks, I chose ths school specifically as it is short session 9.30am - 12 and very much 'child led' They have a huge garden with climbing frames etc, and the children can pretty much chose what they do, apart from register, snack and story times.

He's been twisting his hair a lot too this afternoon, something he only does when really tired, but he wouldn't nap.

Seuss Mon 15-Sep-08 22:43:01

My ds2(NT) did much the same starting pre-school and reception, - he was really good when he was there and then half-way home he'd snap and get hysterical over something really daft. For him it was just the tiredness and the newness of it all and that's without special needs thrown in! I hope tomorrow is better but it might take a while to settle down.

magso Mon 15-Sep-08 23:07:30

Sorry you have had a difficult afternoon. I found each year (starting preschool, nursery, reception) had similar problems as ds adapted to the new routine and demands on him and went a bit wild once let out and back in the safety of in my care. For Ds meeting him with a snack and drink helped , followed by not expecting much from him at all, - but your son might have different needs - the tricky bit is finding what works!

Mamazon Mon 15-Sep-08 23:10:42

occasionally i have days when i don't end up in tears of frustration.

colacubes Mon 15-Sep-08 23:29:09

My dd is 2.5, not to sure if she would be special needs, she has precousious puberty, so today has been absolute hell, a terrible 2 year old with PMT, today I could have cried, didnt know what to do, in the end we went for a walk, a very long walk.

Hope tomorrow will be better for you.

bullet123 Mon 15-Sep-08 23:31:16

Oh yes, there have been a bout of those days recently. Ds1 has decided that now is the time to start getting into things more, so we have had to hide the peanut butter, weetabix and raisins, the shampoo, the plugs, the toothpaste and take his chest of drawers out of his room. He has been screaming and sobbing more, he has been settling to sleep less. Oh and we have had next door neighbours shouting "shut up!" at one of his screaming turns.
But we've also had him giving us some lovely big hugs, giggling his head off at Mr Tickle, hiding under a blanket and laughing and telling us all about the sentence he copied at school (the fact it was entirely wrong about his weekend is neither here nor there grin.

nicky693 Tue 23-Sep-08 10:31:50

these days are getting more frequent for us. My husband had to carry C out of a supermarket the other day screeming and crying. On the way out a man made a comment about C being a naughty boy and could do with a good slap. My husband had a go at the man which got me really upset and i left the trolley in the middle of the shop and just wanted to get home or the ground to swollow me up. When we got home C played up for the rest of the day, tipping his dinner on the floor and refusing to get ready for bed etc. I had had enough and cried whereas my husband just takes it all in his stride. His attitude is, its the way he his sod everyones else opinions, which i suppose is the way to be. Then that night C gave me a big hug and told me I was his princess whilst stroking my face. And thats the bits that other narrow minded people dont see that keeps you going, little things like that.

Your not alone!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now