Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What changes to his diet can I make

(5 Posts)
Cosmo74 Thu 24-Feb-05 15:16:43

We are jsut at the beginning of a long road of geting our DS assessed he is on IEP at school and his head mistres has talked alot about changing his diet - we have cut out sweets etc..as much as we can but he is a picky eater doesn't eat veg. or much meat. How much should we cut out - anyone any idea his teacher is talking about baking your own bread etc.. both me and DH work full time and are away from 7:30am til 6:30pm every day - his grandparents mind him after school but do not have the time to bake etc.. either as they also work. Anyone ideas of what is OK and what is not OK to give him.

Ta

Davros Thu 24-Feb-05 17:50:12

They might be talking about a gluten-free diet whcih is when a lot of parents bake bread themselves. Gluten-free includes normal bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits etc as well as a lot of other things. I'm not sure, but I expect that the Coeliac Socity must have a website, might be worth gloogling. The only thing is, I don't think that an education professional should give diet advice and you should go to a Paedatric Dietician, our local Child Development Centre has one or maybe your local hospital>

JaysMum Thu 24-Feb-05 19:48:14

Diet changes are not the easiest thing to do....
What is your son being assessed for????

The most obvious changes are artificial colourings and flavourings, MSG, Asphartamine, refined sugars and salt.

Take these out of the diet and you will see massive improvements in any child's behavior.

If you give me an idea of why your HT suggested a diet change I could possibly help you out with some diet changes. Either CAT me or post here.

Saker Thu 24-Feb-05 19:59:49

I know nothing about changing diet etc but just wanted to say if you were thinking that you needed to bake your own bread, a breadmaker is by far the easiest option.

Davros Thu 24-Feb-05 20:29:25

Doh! Forgot to mention the bread maker! I would be cautious about anything too fundamental like gluten until you try other things fist and see the outcome and speak to a paed dietician. A lot of parents think that trying a gluten-free diet is a "no brainer, nothing to lose" but, believe me, it is not only a financial investment but an emotional one too and something I think people should be very cautious about. If there is no problem with gluten then people should be eating it (according to respected friend who is GP who has child with autism).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now