Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Tricky day for DS

(9 Posts)
slightlycrumpled Mon 15-Sep-08 16:19:07

DS2 started reception three weeks ago on a full statement. All going well, his one to one seems great, very small class, all enthusiastic.

Today when I collected him his one to one came out to do her handover and said his name is on the naughty cloud as he refused to do his speech therapy today.

She also said he had been in trouble in assembly for not sitting nicely. This has been explained and is in his statement that he has hypotonia and find sitting cross legged quite uncomfortable. He was kneeling and therefore got removed from assembly.

With regard to the speech therapy I can see they are in a difficult situation, because if they say thats okay don't do it today, he will think he can get out of it everyday. I do feel very sorry for him though as it must be tough watching your friends play whilst you have to work.

I just feel a bit down about it really, and I do think that he may well of been fed up at being removed from assembly and therefore not feeling particularly co-operative!

TotalChaos Mon 15-Sep-08 16:22:07

I think they are being wholly unreasonable wrt to the sitting cross legged, given the hypotonia. IMO as long as he is still on one spot they should be happy. Don't think they are handling the speech therapy thing sensitively enough by using a naughty cloud either. I would speak to class teacher, then if no joy to senco.

mabanana Mon 15-Sep-08 16:43:25

He shouldn't be doing his speech therapy in playtime IMO. He should be doing it in class time. Playtime must be important for his communication. As for punishing a child with a disability for not sitting properly angry

slightlycrumpled Mon 15-Sep-08 16:43:59

Thanks T.C. I also thought it was a bit over the top. I'm going to go in tomorrow morning and explain again about the hypotonia, and see if there is a better way of doing his speech therapy.

I feel so sorry for him, he keeps signing "sorry" and "J sad".

slightlycrumpled Mon 15-Sep-08 16:45:29

mabanana, sorry X posts.

As he's in reception I guess a lot of it is playtime, but I don't like that he has to watch his classmates have a good time whilst he has to put in maximum effort.

TotalChaos Mon 15-Sep-08 16:46:42

wrt to the speech therapy - is this his TA carrying it out? or is it SALT coming in? If SALT coming in, then I wouldn't expect them to work around playtime, but would expect a TA too.

btw it's not unusual for kids not to want to do the SALT stuff - DS's teacher said to me once that she felt that SALT coming in wasn't always useful as the kids generally don't like being away from the class doing something different.

slightlycrumpled Mon 15-Sep-08 17:06:51

TA does it daily with the SALT coming in weekly, and mostly that is to liase with TA and make sure program is being followed etc.

I will definately ask tomorrow about timings and stuff.

I think I'm also upset because she has written in his diary he was slow getting changed for P.E. FGS it's hard for him to get changed himself, but I don't mind that, just don't punish him for it.

I'm starting to feel this lead weight back on my shoulders. sad

magso Mon 15-Sep-08 19:53:36

Can they give him a small reward for doing his ST (rather than a punishment for not cooperating).

magso Mon 15-Sep-08 19:55:51

TA possibly needs to phrase things positively I know I used to get down from constant negative comments!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now