Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Todays Observer

(34 Posts)
sarah293 Sun 14-Sep-08 14:28:41

Message withdrawn

madmouse Sun 14-Sep-08 15:03:11

So back to the good old idea that the life of a baby with Down's is worth nothing angry

unfitmother Sun 14-Sep-08 16:54:00

I've just read it. sad angry

MannyMoeAndJack Sun 14-Sep-08 18:56:30

Nobody knows for sure whether a scanned baby will be 'normal' - only if it is (likely) to not be Downs. I think there are many conditions that cannot be picked up on scans.

mshadowsisfab Sun 14-Sep-08 19:01:26

offs
dd was a "normal" baby.
and look what happened.
when will people relise that a perfect baby does not exist

cyberseraphim Sun 14-Sep-08 19:04:41

Often people with pro scanning for Downs views are the same ones who want something 'done' about female abortion in other countries. However by logical deduction, those who abort female babies are only making the same rationalisation - that as female babies have less value, it is rational, if not very nice or moral, to preserve your reproductive capabilities for higher value babies.

binkythebullet Sun 14-Sep-08 20:19:46

What really annoyed me about the article about DS was the constant reference to 'Downs babies'. Aaargh. Completely sloppy journalism.

The article about the Spinks was very good, although utterly depressing in terms of how little help they've had (although IME not at all surprising).

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 14-Sep-08 21:10:09

The Spinks article fired me up to write to SS and request a care assessment for myself. I have been told this is the way to go if you want more help. Thought I may as well do it whilst I was covered in bruises that are a legacy of SS failure to provide enough help for us this summer.

binkythebullet Sun 14-Sep-08 22:22:30

That's really interesting JJ, I didn't know that you could do that. God only knows when we'll get any help, despite having PMLD, CP and visual impairment, apparently dd is just like any other 4.5 year old hmm.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 14-Sep-08 22:25:21

Apparently every single person in the country is entitled to ask for a care assessment to look at their needs. (One person told me that). Another told me (when I was saying how brilliant their facilties/activities were for those with LD's) that if I requested them to meet ds1's needs we didn't stand a chance, if I requested them to meet my needs then we would get it. So we'll see. The facilties do look great for ds1 and continue into adult care, so I think it's worth investigating.

binkythebullet Sun 14-Sep-08 22:42:30

Please let us know how you get on. I am blardy knackered at the moment, as is dh, could do with some changes being made if poss. Fingers crossed for you.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 14-Sep-08 22:51:43

I will do. But it's SS, so anything that happens will (from experience) take over a year to organise.

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:37:29

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 08:45:49

Riven, if the woman I spoke to on Saturday is right your dh needs to ask for an assessment of his needs. And then they might actually do something.

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 09:07:36

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 10:23:02

Well my email was forwarded to the manager of the childrens disabiltiy team and my SW assistant is coming out to see me after lunch today. Which is good as I'm still pretty bruised so can show her. I said that this summer didn't matter, it's finished. I just don't want to be in this situation again. They have said they will start with a new assessment again and look at putting in 'sustainable' support.

We shall see.

MannyMoeAndJack Mon 15-Sep-08 10:30:27

This sounds like a positive start - I hope they can deliver something meaningful...rather than say, offering to send somebody round to take out your other two sons in order for you spend time with ds1.

I didn't make that one up either!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 11:03:13

Ha ha- I can imagine!. I'm expecting promises that will take a year to sort out. Which is why I'm starting now.....

Blu Mon 15-Sep-08 11:13:02

I thought it was brilliant that the shocking reality of the finncial ruin was given such a high profile. Wandsworth Council's mistake - that led to massive debts and the beginning of them losing their house is a true slur on democracy.

I also thought that every MN-er who ever wonders why parents of children with SN can be consumed with anger from time to time, should read this peice.

eidsvold Mon 15-Sep-08 12:19:53

oh can someone post a link to both articles PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE grin

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 12:21:28

For those who can't find them.

The article about DS is here

and the Spink article is here

eidsvold Mon 15-Sep-08 12:22:19

thank you - nah just too lazy and I know you ladies will come through for me wink

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 12:34:59

Something here about caring for a child with muscular dystrophy. Same old story.

sarah293 Mon 15-Sep-08 13:33:26

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 15-Sep-08 14:24:43

Well I've had the SW assistant out here. I told her that there was a lack of services that were needed (she asked what I wanted and tbh it doesn't exist). It's not just me that needs them, it's every parent with a child as complex as ds1.

She saw the bruises which was helpful and I was able to stress that ds1 is not aggressive. I wouldn't have had the bruises if I'd been able to keep him occupied - but I can't do that without help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now