Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Mobility car?

(7 Posts)
pucca Sun 14-Sep-08 10:25:32

I wasn't really sure where to put this to be honest, but my mum cares for my nan. My nan gets DLA and also attendance allowance.

Would my mum qualify for a mobility car on behalf of my nan (she doesn't drive) my mum goes to my nan everyday, runs her to all her hospital appointment, GP appointments and does her shopping.

How does it work exactly?

Thanks very much

Cappuccino Sun 14-Sep-08 10:29:30

does your nan get mobility allowance?

pucca Sun 14-Sep-08 10:34:41

I don't know, we are all totally clueless when it comes to benefits tbh, we didn't even know she could claim attendance allowance for months and months.

deepbreath Sun 14-Sep-08 10:43:52

If your nan gets the high rate mobility part of DLA, there is a chance that your nan could get a Motability car but would have to give up most or all of that part of her DLA to get it... it isn't something extra on top unfortunately, so it works out about £160 ish a month that she will lose. You used to be able to apply if you got middle rate mobility, (I'm not sure if you still can) but most cars cost more than that per month.

It would technically be your nan's car, but she could have your mum as a named driver so she is covered for insurance etc. It might be worth having a look at the Motability website for more information. Here

mshadowsisfab Sun 14-Sep-08 11:21:40

it does depend on age, how old is your nan?

pucca Sun 14-Sep-08 23:58:35

Sorry for taking so long to come back to this, thankyou for the replies.

My nan is 76, so it seems not eligible.

Thankyou though. smile

FioFio Mon 15-Sep-08 16:51:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now