Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Question to those who employ a carer direct

(13 Posts)
supportman Fri 12-Sep-08 22:39:05

Since the summer holidays have come to an end I have found myself a bit short of work and relying on shifts coming in at the last minute.

I have given being self employed a thought a while ago but have been too busy until now. My question is for those who employ someone direct, how did you find a carer? As I wouldn't know where to start looking.

Many thanks.

2shoes Fri 12-Sep-08 22:41:57

I don't but......
I have noticed that parents advertise in the dc's school. I suppose they hope a member of staff would take the job. do you have links with a sn school?
also have you ever done residntial ?(just being nosy there)

supportman Fri 12-Sep-08 23:01:35

No I don't have any links with SN schools 2Shoes. I have a good reputation with a few social workers and care managers who know of me but they don't know me personally. I done some work residentially, but that was a while ago.

mshadowsisfab Fri 12-Sep-08 23:03:13

I just wondered as there are always shortages at dd's respite place, so assume it is the same everywhere.

mshadowsisfab Fri 12-Sep-08 23:03:33

(sorry I am 2shoes)

supportman Fri 12-Sep-08 23:17:16

Oh yes, I do a bit of work at respite units, I thought you meant 24/7 residential. I am preferred agency person at one respite unit and the first choice at another. However they have to offer the work to their own staff first. When shifts do come through I am often working anyway, then when I am not the phone don't ring. Its either all or nothing.

mshadowsisfab Fri 12-Sep-08 23:19:17

what area are you in?

supportman Fri 12-Sep-08 23:25:50


supportman Sun 14-Sep-08 21:20:23


vicsta Sun 14-Sep-08 21:31:47

I have noticed that people advertise in the small ads in the local paper (not the boy seeks girl bit!) but in the employment section under situations vacant and in ky locality, they are mostly from people searching for carers. worth a try I suppose. What about leaving cards at local community centres, childrens clinics, Dr.'s surgeries etc? Best of luck

oldcrock Sun 14-Sep-08 21:37:17

I think there's an agency SNAP which places specifically SN carers/nannies here, mainly in the SE.

r3dh3d Sun 14-Sep-08 21:44:02

SNAP. Or Everyday Angels for medical need. Or mainstream Nanny agencies - the big ones sometimes net someone looking to get into that line of work. Depending where you are in Kent, ie if you could work in Surrey, have you tried Cool2Care? Don't know if there is a Kent equivalent or how big an area they actually cover.

supportman Mon 15-Sep-08 21:07:32

Thanks for the idea about nanny agencies Oldcrock and R3hd3d, had a look at SNAP and nothing close enough, but have booked marked them and will keep my eye out. Good idea Vicsta about local papers, not thought of that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now