Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Fish Oils for ADHD

(7 Posts)
tigga Fri 12-Sep-08 21:09:37

Has anyone heard of this trial? DS4 has had a tentative diagnosis of ADHD (it's at least that but possibly ASD) and someone my oldest son works with has a child with ADHD and he was trialled on it with great results but that was 10+ years ago now. I wondered if it was an officially recognised benefit? I've started giving it to him anyway...it won't hurt if it dosen't make any difference to his condition.

Seuss Fri 12-Sep-08 21:42:19

I don't know about official results but have heard plenty of people say it helps. My SIL swears by it for her eldest (not diagnosed with ADHD but def. has some attention issues!) Like you say, won't hurt in any case. I wonder what doses the official testing used though?

magso Fri 12-Sep-08 21:47:31

Cant give you the referance but yes. Put my then very impulsive hyperactive Ds on the strength of it (6 years ago) and was supprised to see it helped. (Dx now of LD ADHD ASD)We notice if we forget a few doses and always take fishoils on holiday as one of our essentials. Worth trying - as you say it can't hurt and it may help. I now use eskimo kids oil (from good health stores)but the the original study was sponcered by a different oil manufacturer.

tigga Sat 13-Sep-08 09:19:19

I'll be getting some Eskimo Kids today Mags, Oz is uncontrollable today and the only deviation from his strict additive free diet is the EyeQ (thats not an 'I'm a good mum' boast...Oz reacts to something in additives and I don't know what so we just stopped the lot with a very marked difference in his behaviour).
Today is going to be a 'I just want to strangle him' day sigh

mumslife Sun 14-Sep-08 18:57:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyberseraphim Sun 14-Sep-08 19:12:18

Even I've been tempted to try fish oil though I am normally the uber sceptic but alas he won't eat them or drink them or even be in the same room as them. I think there is some marginal evidence that it can help so it's worth a go if you can get them in somehow. I even tried the citrus flavoured oil but it lies on the surface like a tanker spillage.

streakybacon Mon 15-Sep-08 07:46:38

Eskimo Kids is great,we've been using it for a few years now.

TBH I think this might have contributed to J's meltdown in school last week - there was a problem with the online order for Eskimo so he hadn't had any for a few days, and I think it might have affected his ability to self-manage.

It's definitely worth a trial of fish oils though. It helps a lot of children to focu and if you don't see any improvement you can always stop but you know you've at least ticked that box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now