Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

MELATONIN - anyone heard of a recall?

(15 Posts)
Mamazon Thu 11-Sep-08 23:26:39

DS has 2x3mg tablets every night in order for him to sleep. he has been having them for over a year now and for us they are a bit of a wonder drug.

Our last batch however have been a bit problematic. he has been waking during the night, sleepwalking and bed wetting. he has never done any of this before.

We are nearing teh end of this batch anyway so i called the GP to get our repeat script.
when i said i wanted the Melatonin i mentinoed teh problems we had had this time round and he said that it was funny i mentinoe dthis as he remembers reading something about there being a problem with Melatonin. he couldn't remember properly but that he thought that there was either a recall because of a problem ingredient or that maybe it has had the licence revoked ro something.

Im a bit paniced really. melatonin has really changed our lives (he could go 24 hours with no more than a cat nap in the car on the way home frmo Tesco)
GP says its ok to give him the Melatonin he already has but im a bit worried.

I have tried doing a quick google but can't find anything...but i am rubbihs with googling anyway.

Has anyone else heard anything?

SparklyGothKat Fri 12-Sep-08 00:33:29

not heard of a recall, but my Dd1 needs it!!! they can't take it away!!

sarah293 Fri 12-Sep-08 08:08:54

Message withdrawn

coppertop Fri 12-Sep-08 13:19:43

Ds2 has melatonin and I haven't heard of any problems or recalls.

coppertop Fri 12-Sep-08 13:22:04

Just tried to google and the only thing to come up about melatonin recalls was this thread.

theheadgirl Fri 12-Sep-08 14:09:27

Not heard anything here either - as riven says its avoided in children with epilepsy as it can bring on seizures, but not heard of any recalls for kids already taking it. Don't take ours away. Please.....

Mamazon Fri 12-Sep-08 22:29:24

Im really stressing about it.
GP was meant to ring me today and tell me if the script was going to be for Melatonin or a substitute....he hasn't sad

I am hoping that the Gp just got mixed up and it is all fine.

tellyaddict Fri 12-Sep-08 22:34:18

Mamazon I'm now worried too after reading your post. My son has it in liquid form, and he too has been sleepwalking and waking in the night recently (he's been on it about 6 months or so). I think I read that you can give them another dose if they wake up and can't get back to sleep (we don't) so maybe if they're sleep regulation is very affected (hence the need for melatonin in the first place) it might not last a full night. I put the sleepwalking down to age (as I did it too then). The bedwetting is occasional but he's only been dry for a couple of years (wet until 9).

I'll keep watching this thread.

loonywoman Fri 12-Sep-08 22:52:56

tellyaddict - where do you get melatonin in liquid form?? Do you know the brand name? our consultant said only available in tablets and my DD1 cannot swallow them. Nice pharmacist managed to get capsules which we can open and pour powder into yoghurt.

have not heard of recall and have not had sleepwalking etc (not dry at night yet to tell on that front). But melatonin is my wonder drug and has changed my life - i get a few hours peace now. They can't take it away.

tellyaddict Sat 13-Sep-08 08:40:06

Hi Loonywoman (grin love the name) we get ours from our GP. We are in the UK and our paediatrician offered it and authorised our gp to prescribe on repeat. The brand name is Kidnaps and its by Special Products Ltd, produced and packaged by NuPharm in the UK, 1ml = 1mg of melatonin.

It's been a lifesaver for us too. Although he's getting up during the night, he's a different child on a reasonable night's sleep. It no longer takes 3 or 4 hours for him to settle at night.

loonywoman Sat 13-Sep-08 22:27:54

thanks for that - will chat to GP and if no help, speak to consultant at next appointment(if we ever get another one as previous consultant left)

tellyaddict Sun 14-Sep-08 22:11:57

good luck with GP. Word of warning, the pharmacies usually don't carry melatonin liquid in stock, so they have to order it in and it usually takes around 5 days. We've had a nightmare trying to get more before existing bottle ran out, sorted now though it's on repeat.

dragonbaby Fri 19-Sep-08 19:56:14

help my dd also takes the above meds yet she still only sleeps from11pm to3am any ideas

dragonbaby Fri 19-Sep-08 19:56:19

help my dd also takes the above meds yet she still only sleeps from11pm to3am any ideas

tellyaddict Fri 19-Sep-08 22:22:25

I'm sure that I read that you can give them more if they wake up during the night. How much do you give her and how old is she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now