Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Grommets and adenoidectomy next week. How do I survive 2 weeks quarantine???

(17 Posts)
cktwo Thu 11-Sep-08 20:33:53

DD1 is due to have her op next Wednesday and we've been told by the hospital to keep her away from public places and limit visitors for two weeks afterwards.
I have no idea how we're going to survive this. She'll be going stir crazy by the end on day one! (as will I).

Her behavoir is terrible if she doesn't leave the house and burn some energy off normally and we only just about survived the summer holidays before pre-school started again. She thrives from the stimulation there and we've just fount the council for a support worker thats not going to be used for two weeks!!! angry

So I'm about to order some dvds off Amazon but would appreciate any tips to keep her occupied. Thank you smile

pointydog Thu 11-Sep-08 20:41:15

Strange. Dd2 had this op. Back to normal routines after a day or two.

pointydog Thu 11-Sep-08 20:44:17

Just noticed this is in special needs. MAybe there are added possible complications?

cktwo Thu 11-Sep-08 20:46:02

Really? I'm going to speak to the consultant when we go in. They want to minimise infection apparently.

Where in the country are you pointydog? Has anyone else had this 2 week ban put on them?

cktwo Thu 11-Sep-08 20:47:42

I don't see why her special needs would complicate the recovery process TBH. Her special needs would complicate the 2 weeks at home grin

littleredcorvette Thu 11-Sep-08 21:08:39

Josh had his tonsils and adenoids removed last November and we had to keep him off school for 2 weeks as well.
Other people I know whose children have had an T&A grin were also given the same advice.

I thought it was standard procedure as we were told this by the Consultant, the nurses and it was also in the leaflet we were given when he went for his pre-op.

Seuss Thu 11-Sep-08 21:12:47

My ds had it done a few years ago, I think he had to stay off school for a bit but I think we must of gone out and about and stuff because my ds is very energetic and needs his exercise! I remember he was back to his usual self quite quickly!

cktwo Thu 11-Sep-08 21:25:45

I can't see how I can keep her in for two weeks. I've also got a very active 21 month old so I have to go out with her. Jeez I'm not going to be able to go the the supermarket if I follow thier advice.

Was feeling really positive about this op as it could really make a difference to DD1 but now I just feel blue sad.

Seuss Thu 11-Sep-08 21:34:54

I'm sure you could ease off on the restrictions a bit in the second week he she seemed well?!? Perhaps if you ask the nurse and explain - they might be able to tell you what it IS ok to do - like go to the park or something?

Seuss Thu 11-Sep-08 21:48:44

Hope the op goes well! My ds was fine through it all, even when they took the drip thingy out of his hand so we could go home, but then the nurse tried to put a plaster on it and he howled so much we had to bundle him out of the hospital trying not to drip blood everywhere. That was the day we found out ds doesn't like plasters!grin

Troutpout Thu 11-Sep-08 22:18:34

My dd had this done and we were told to keep her away from enclosed puplic places for 10 days.
Small Trampoline? ds used to use this masses when he was little...he loved the repetative movement and he used to burn off lots of surplus energy on it

pointydog Thu 11-Sep-08 22:18:37

dd2 had this op 6 years + ago now, when she was 3. The very next day, friends of ours visited with their kids and stayed for the weekend. Then she would have been back to nursery three days a week while I worked.

Edinburgh hospital.

I think they might have said to try to keep her away from anyone with a really bad cold but I really don't think I would have ignored a 2 week recovery spell if someone had told me that.

pointydog Thu 11-Sep-08 22:19:27

I think they're just being over cautious.

MetalMummy Thu 11-Sep-08 23:57:00

When DS had his tonsils out we were told to keep him off school too. To be honest the first week he was in no state to go back anyway, but the second week he was bouncing off the walls and driving me mad.

cktwo Fri 12-Sep-08 08:30:38

Thanks all. I'm going to speak to the consultant when we go in and I;m definately keeping her off for 7-10 days then see how she goes.

We've got a trampoline for outside so perhaps I'll bring it in and clean it up.

pointydog Fri 12-Sep-08 08:55:20

Having tonsils out is worse than adenoids.

vjg13 Fri 12-Sep-08 11:01:56

My daughter had this about 5 years ago and we kept her off school for the 2 weeks but once she was feeling better we did outdoor stuff like the woods etc. I think it's more about avoiding infection, so charging round or trampolining outside is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now