Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Makaton Courses

(10 Posts)
HayleyK Thu 11-Sep-08 17:58:11

Does anyone know where I can do a makaton course around central or NW London. The Kids London one costs £200 per person which seems outrageously expensive given that they are a charity. I have been told my little boy has oral dispraxia and he's responding really well to signing, so I want to go with a few members of my family to learn it.

nuru Thu 11-Sep-08 20:47:27

if you go on to the Makaton website (google Makaton) you should be able to find local tutors who are officially recognised by Makaton. Local FE colleges sometimes run courses and your local SALT dept may run introductory sessions.
Alternatively Makaton runs a home learning course with CDs etc, but think that may be pretty pricy (altho you could probably use one set between your family).

TomH Thu 18-Sep-08 09:44:16

Hello HayleyK!

I'm a Makaton Regional Tutor and I'd be happy to train you and your family - I think it's fantastic that your family are all learning together, great idea!

nuru has also given you some good advice, but feel free to contact me if you don't have any joy with the Makaton website!

I'm new to this site, but I think if you click on my name, you should get my work e-mail address....

Good luck whatever you decide!

HayleyK Mon 22-Sep-08 09:24:47

Have sent a CAT as definitely interested. Thanks

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 22-Sep-08 10:03:44

Oh TomH- I would like more Makaton training as well, although I'm in the south west. Do you have your own website?

Could you email me on nezumi35 at googlemail dot com?

Arabica Mon 22-Sep-08 12:35:29

Hi HayleyK, you should get free training if your child is receiving speech and language therapy--I did. They'd have trained DH too but he is getting training at work (he is a teacher).

HayleyK Mon 22-Sep-08 13:15:07

I thought so also, but Kids London, which is the charity providing it, said no. I have found a course though in Wandsworth Springfield Hospital which is £40 for the two days, so it's a bit more affordable than the Kids London one (£200 per person!) so we're going to go to that one and then might have Tom or someone come and do a shorter session for our family one evening.
Thanks for your help always!
- H

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 22-Sep-08 13:55:12

I've never been able to access free Makaton training either. I keep meaning to ask school to do it. I have some signs and try and use them, but family training would be useful. DS2 and ds3 would like it as well

Arabica Mon 22-Sep-08 18:24:09

Another reason to live in Hackney grin

moondog Mon 22-Sep-08 19:16:28

We have a saltb on our team who is a Makaton trainer. She trains loads of parents and gets Social Services to fork out for manuals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now