Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ok, so this is my big dilemma (long, sorry!)

(5 Posts)
BriocheDoree Thu 11-Sep-08 15:14:25

I'm not really expecting anyone to help me decide this, just putting my ideas on paper to get it straight in my own head...and seeing if anyone's got any useful insight.
So, this year, DD was all set to do two days at English school, two days at French school. She doesn't currently speak any French, but obviously understands some. The advantage with the English school is that the class size is much smaller and her speech therapist could go to work with her there, rather than me taking her out of school and to the speech therapists house. At French school, there are 30 kids in the class and although we've applied for 1-to-1 chances are we won't get it before next year. (DD has no significant behavioural problems and is still very young). However, the way it worked out meant that she was doing Monday English, Tuesday French, Weds off, Thursday English, Friday French.
Having met her last week, the French school have now objected saying the DD must choose between the two schools. Putting her into English full time is just not an option (extortionately expensive, and the school only goes up to age 5). The French school feel that it would be too disruptive for DD to go to two different schools and TBH, they probably have a point, but if she ONLY goes to French school, she gets no help at all in a class of 30 kids. She can see her speech therapist but I'll have to take her out of school for that.
So far she's only going to the French school, and certainly trots off happily enough. I like her teacher (apart from the difference of opinion about DD's schooling!).
So what do I do? Do I assume that DD can't handle two schools at once (they are probably correct). Do I push for 1-to-1 sooner?
Does anyone have any experience of a speech-delayed child NOT having support in school. What is the likely outcome? Has anyone else succesfully managed two separate schools for their DC?

TotalChaos Thu 11-Sep-08 15:59:44

Do French schools have teaching assistants? DS as you know has moderate language delay, and has always sounded quite similar to your DD. He has no formal support in school - but since there are 2 teaching assistants and 2 teachers (so 4 trained adults) for the class of 30 children, DS can get some time in small groups of children to do activities that help his listening skills etc. I think though since the English school is only going to last till she is 5, then presumably she will have go into the French system very soon anyway, so I would be inclined to bite the bullet, and put her into the French school full time.

Also ask your speech therapists advice about schooling, support and how to deal with French school system.

sarah293 Thu 11-Sep-08 16:12:14

Message withdrawn

magso Thu 11-Sep-08 16:20:26

I have no experience of the French system so cannot help directly. I have heard good things about the system for younger children and that is faster to provide learning support than the UK system. Our child is older but I suggested a split placment for him at 7 ( between MS poor support and MLD/ASD good support) and this was turned down on the basis that it would be too confusing. With the benefit of hindsight I think it would have been! His language has come on more in 1 year with support in the MLD than in 3 at MS poorly supported - however it may just have reached that stage where language blossoms I just dont know!

Tclanger Thu 11-Sep-08 17:10:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now