Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I am a Tad worried

(37 Posts)
Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 09:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coppertop Wed 10-Sep-08 11:49:18

I would ask for an appointment to speak to the teacher to find out what has been planned for your ds this year. I think it's fair to ask what the provision will be as at the moment you have ony spoken to the TA.

Have you applied for a statement in the past and been turned down? Or is it the school who have told you that ds won't get one? Attila's posts always have really good advice about statementing and what your rights are so it's worth doing a search for those on MN.

If he is struggling and the school are unable to meet his needs (if the TA is correct they have cut his hours of support by a third alread) then I would definitely apply for a statement.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Sep-08 12:58:14

Hi TC

Who told you this:-
"I have been told categorically that he can't have a statement his needs aren't severe enough"

Good God!. I am angry on your behalf.
Presumably the school has told you this. Its bollocks frankly, don't listen to the naysayers!.

Would totally agree with Coppertop; do apply for a Statement for your son asap. If you make the application yourself you can appeal if the LEA say no. IPSEA are very good at all this www.ipsea.org.uk and there are model letters you can use. You will need to write to the Chief Education Officer at your LEA and give them six weeks to reply (mark that date on your calendar).

Is your son also under the care of a developmental paediatrician; such a person can be helpful to have on side too.

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 13:58:01

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 14:00:24

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Sep-08 14:49:14

Tclanger

The practice of LEA's devolving funding to schools is causing all sorts of problems for many children. What they are doing currently is not helping your son at all; his needs are not being fully met. Basically many LEAs try and shirk their statutory and legal responsibility by doing such things.

Parent Partnership can often work alongside the LEA (in my area the PP work out of the same building as the LEA) so are not fully impartial or importantly, independent. Think the school blocking the EP's visit is unreasonable and short sighted to say the least; some people though do not like "outsdiers" coming in as they think they know best (the scenario you describe has happened in my son;s junior school too).

Think PP are talking a lot of old nonsense if you ask me.

Would suggest you get impartial advice from IPSEA or SOS;SEN as a matter of course. They are a mine of information.

You are your son's best - and only - advocate.

Good luck!!.

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 15:00:32

vjg13 Wed 10-Sep-08 15:35:59

I would imagine SALT will say he gets adequate provision and they are understaffed, under resourced etc. It is still worth a try. The only way to guarantee more SALT provision is to get it in the 'elusive' statement.

We struggled for about six months to get my daughter's provision increased from 3 visits a year to 6. I complained to the CE of the PCT in the end.

I know that my LEA will always back down and do a statement especially with the threat of a tribunal. Good Luck!

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 15:46:24

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 15:47:31

vjg13 Wed 10-Sep-08 15:57:52

Take some deep breaths, have a look at the IPSEA website and copy the letter to demand a statement then get it sent off. What school year is your son in?

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 16:03:17

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 10-Sep-08 16:04:27

So sorry to read that his hours got reduced to ten and without consulting with you beforehand too. Not an untypical scenario either I am sorry to say.

Re SALT provision, you will need to go all out to get this included in Part 2. It can be done though it is bloody difficult.

Would agree with vjg - put in that request to the LEA asap. You will need to write to the Chief Education Officer at your LEA and give them six weeks to reply. Make a note of that date on your calendar.

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 16:12:45

magso Wed 10-Sep-08 16:16:42

Hi Tcanger! I havent read all the thread ( ds is home!!) but we were told he would not get a statement because his needs were not high enough - even the paediatrician said he would never get a statement! School withdrew the application on 2 occasions for this reason. However the SALT 'accidently' let slip that language on the first centile (ds has all sorts on the first centile ) was considered an automatic qualification for a statement assessment. I applied as a parent and he now has a statemnt. I know every LEA has its own (illegal) unwritten guidelines but if our lea (where it is harder than most to get a statement) well you get my drift!

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 17:10:29

TotalChaos Wed 10-Sep-08 19:44:42

sorry the situation with school is so unsatisfactory. I think it's absolutely dreadful that the head was obstructive to the EP coming out.

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 20:02:25

magso Wed 10-Sep-08 20:57:02

We had trouble getting the school to allow an EP assesment also. Ds was seen briefly by the original EP on entering school - it was only a quick screening asessment (confirming language and cognitive disability) and was meant to be followed up with a full appt, but the EP became ill so did not do this and after longterm sickness was replaced. School said 2 years had to elapse before ds was 'allowed' another 'assessment'. I think it was mostly a funding thing but the HT was adament. We had a private and very shocking ep assessment done (confirming severe learning disability and centiles below 1 in several areas) but the LEA ignored this ( and even had the gall to say he did not have LD. The LEA EP (the same as the schools new one) assessed him for the statement making a long list of needs -and then the draft statement offered 8 hrs TA a week in MS and 6 hrs SALT a YEAR. We appealed and eventually got the special placement. And 8 hrs is supposed to be inclusion for a child with SLD, profoundly delayed language, and asd!!

magso Wed 10-Sep-08 21:21:36

Sorry got carried away and pressed post instead of delete (was planning to delete irrelavant rant)!!
Meant to say at Ds Special, the SALT support is mostly group based (most the class need it anyway) they kind of smoothly include SALT and OT within the day to day teaching (ie colour the number 8 in blue - including listening and finemotor into numberwork), so if ds is sharing the TA support with children with similar needs it may not be all bad but surely not grounds to reduce hours!

Tclanger Wed 10-Sep-08 21:42:22

Tclanger Thu 11-Sep-08 15:42:49

vjg13 Thu 11-Sep-08 15:52:55

Why will he get 15 hours from the 22nd and not from today now they have found the error?

I would still really go for it with the statement, it is such a lengthy process anyway.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 11-Sep-08 16:37:31

I would ask the same question; why not till the 22nd?.

I think you are wise to consider statementing now; they certainly cannot do this if there is a Statement in place.

Tclanger Thu 11-Sep-08 17:08:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now