Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

cahms, anyone any experience?

(6 Posts)
stupidgirl Tue 22-Feb-05 23:57:13

Our dr (who has dismissed AS as an explanation for ds's problems) has referred us to cahms. We've been told we're likely to get an appointment through in a couple of months (already been waiting about 4). I just wondered what was involved.

Would ds have to come? It has proved to be completely counter-productive taking him anywhere as he just either hides under the furniture or destroys the place. I don't think it is helpful to him to keep seeing all these different people we have been referred to and not get anywhere.

Also, can they diagnose something like AS? Or is it likely to be put down to something else?

Blossomhill Wed 23-Feb-05 07:48:39

Stupidgirl - they would have to see ds otherwise how would they know what they were looking for? They are so used to that kind of behaviour and infact it would be useful if they did see it as it gives them more of an insight into what problems ds has. We have been to CAMHS with dd and the room was very child friendly so try not to worry too much.

macwoozy Wed 23-Feb-05 12:13:42

Never heard of CAMHS, what does it stand for?

stupidgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 22:41:40

Cahms - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service.

Blossomhill, the dr said it would just be a case of answering lots of questions. We have been to see so many people, who can't observe him in any way because of his behaviour. I'm just so sick of it, sick of putting him through it. I just don't want to do it any more.

stupidgirl Wed 23-Feb-05 22:44:04

Sorry, this whole thing just pisses me off, what's it all going to achieve at the end of it. Just supposing we get a diagnosis, which I'm pretty sure we won't, where will that get me? He's not in school, so there's no extra support - WHY am I putting us through this???

koonelly Thu 24-Feb-05 13:41:11

Hi, my eldest was refered to camhs, waited ages initally and was told only appointments available were for cisis cases. At time was at wits end so I wrote a strong letter explaining we were at crisis stage, didn't know what else to do (son had been school refusing for 6 months!)Got an appointment for the next week! Found the doctor and all the telephone contacts really nice and helpful and reassuring of my situation (my son was suspected AS and verbal/motor dyspraxia) They gave good advice and supporting letters on best course of action and my son is now happy at different school and taking GCSE's this year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now