Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Flying issues.

(7 Posts)
falcon Tue 09-Sep-08 20:03:15

My mother,who is a support worker, is going on holiday with a adult client on Thursday.

Her client has CP and has some swallowing issues, she's concerned about possible ear issues he may have with the pressure changes.

Unfortunately due to the restrictions on taking liquids in hand luggage he can't drink during take off and landing, which would have been an ideal solution to counter the pain of his ears popping.

He can't suck hard boiled sweets to relieve the pain either.

Does anyone have any ideas/tips on how to relieve ear pain while flying?

Do special ear plugs make a difference?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TotalChaos Tue 09-Sep-08 20:17:48

can't they buy a drink once they are through security to take on the plane?

falcon Tue 09-Sep-08 20:19:54

I don't believe that's allowed either, any drinks have to be bought on the plane to the best of my knowledge.

kt14 Tue 09-Sep-08 20:24:52

DH flies lots with work from different airports all over the UK. All of them, even our local tiny one supply bottled drinks once in the departure gate so I really wouldn't worry. If it's a larger airport there will be all sorts available, or you might be able to take your own liquid on board with a GP's note.

Alternatively, ask as soon as you board for a glass of water from the air crew. They should all be able to provide this so your mother's client has it from take-off.

anonandlikeit Tue 09-Sep-08 20:27:56

Once you are through the security checks you can buy drinks & take them on board with no problems.

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 09-Sep-08 20:33:42

You can buy drinks once through security.

My ds2 has dreadful ear problems when flying that sweets sucking sweets doesn't solve. He takes painkillers about half an hour before landing - he finds landing worse. He also takes sudafed for a few days before, uses a Vicks nasal spray, sips water and chews Airwaves, It still reduces him to tears most times but this does seem to take the edge off.

falcon Tue 09-Sep-08 20:40:01

Thankyou everyone, it's a relief to know that you can purchase drinks once you're through security checks. I was given the wrong information the last time I flew.angry

I think I'll try those things Saggar ty, I'm sorry your poor ds suffers so badly from ear pain while flying.sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now