Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Crelling waistbelt - has anyone used thisproduct for their mini-escapolotist? Jimjams?

(9 Posts)
CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 14:19:33

I was just searching the SN board to see if anyone had previously asked advice on wrist straps/ harnesses for the larger child. I found a 1994 thread begun by Jimjams that seemed to suggest that the Crelling Waistbelt would be a good buy. Before I buy this in desperation does anyone feel able to offer a product review? And if so, did you get the one with the shoulder straps or just the plain belt?

TIA!

CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 14:20:35

Apologies for the typo in the subject line - I meant, of course, escapoloGist!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 06-Sep-08 16:21:13

1994?

You're in luck, I've reviewed it here

The belt buckle is hard to undo, but the main danger would be wriggling out of it. They do full harnesses as well.

CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 17:01:49

HA! 1994!!! I guess that just shows you where my head is today. DS appears to be successfully melting my brain!

Is there any particular reason you chose the one without the shoulder straps? This might sound silly but I'm concerned DS might wriggle it down over his bottom and get out of it. I put a wrist strap on him the other day, and he was so good all morning that I became complacent and didn't notice him wriggling his hand out and running into the Staff Only area in Boots. Sighs.

Loved the review BTW - will go and check out the rest of your blog later!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 06-Sep-08 17:05:19

Wriggling out of it is possible. -although weirdly ds1 always wriggled out of wrist straps, and wriggles out of the waist one when we get home (I don't do it up very tight though) but never tries when out and about.

I can't remember why I didn't get the chest one, I think it would have made more sense. Although he was less of an escapeologist then and I think I didn't want him to stand out so much (he does that himself now anyway ).

Blog is meant to be a product review site, but has been much neglected recently.

CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 17:16:52

I've just been reading your post about Christopher and Nicola Stevens book, and the bit where you say that DS insists on stopping outside people's houses until they've shut the front door behind them made me laugh with recognition. It was a good post - I might buy the book! I could do with reading something I can relate to.

And thank you for the advice. I'm going to order the one with the shoulder straps ASAP. Trips out with DS are currently ageing me beyond recognition!

PersonalClown Sat 06-Sep-08 17:20:12

I have all 3 type depending on Ds mood that day!!
I find the wrist one is a great visual deterrant for him. 1 glimpse and he behaves.
The waist one is great for when he's in one of his defiant moods, it's very secure, I do it up quiet tight as Ds is the natural heir to Houdini and it keeps him under control quite well.

Pixel Sat 06-Sep-08 18:43:17

I bought one after seeing Jimjam's review some time ago. Ds hasn't escaped from it even though he used to from the wrist one, no matter how tight it seemed. However, because he's not really keen on it he does twist around so it seems impossible to keep it facing the proper way round. Still works just the same though. I've found it very useful if I've had to take ds into shops as I can hook the strap over my arm which gives me enough time to pay before he rushes for the door. Also if he tries to lie down I can often keep him on his feet by holding the actual belt part which is great if we are attempting to cross a busy road. Sometimes I just like it because it makes people think twice rather than just assuming ds is a naughty brat, although I did have one woman shout out that she 'liked my dog'sad.

Debs75 Mon 08-Sep-08 23:19:47

I use the crelling harness which is just like big boy reins and they are brilliant ds sees it as a security thing and as he is too big for his buggy he has to walk more.

I also ordered the car harness as he would just undo his seat belt but have to say it is crap he can shrug out of the shoulder straps and then turns round in his seat so he is just held in by the waist belt, The buckle is genious tho he has no idea how to undo it and watches us like hawks to try and figure it out.

Does anyone know of a car harness where they are more restrained and can't wrigglr out so easy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now