Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Apart from the opening ceremony...

(11 Posts)
anonandlikeit Sat 06-Sep-08 08:56:29

Which isn't really about the athletes is there any coverage of the Paraolympics?

Coverage of the Olympics was constant on BBC1/2 just wondered if there would be the same?
Is it on another channel? just looked through the TV listings & can't see anything?

amber32002 Sat 06-Sep-08 11:39:42

It says, "BBC Coverage of Paralympics
BBC television coverage of the Paralympics will be more extensive than ever before, action will be streamed live for six hours a day through the red button and via broadband.

There will be live terrestrial/red button coverage at the weekends and the opening and closing ceremonies will also be broadcast live including the handover to London moment on the final day.

Daily midweek programmes on BBC2 between 7pm and 8pm will be available on high definition (HD) and on iPlayer. " Frustratingly, though, I can't find a schedule of tv coverage anywhere.

I'm hoping they'll be showing Lee Pearson (rider) as he's had to work so hard to find a replacement horse in time, and Gentleman (his horse) isn't fully trained as yet. Shall be praying it goes ok for him.

eidsvold Sat 06-Sep-08 11:50:55

I know here in Australia ABC1 has highlights but when I had a moan about how pathetic that was - he said there is more in abc2.

A lad who used to go to dd1's school many years ago - amputee - is representing Australia in swimming. His mum is a teacher's aide who sometimes works with dd1. She is off to Beijing soon.

anonandlikeit Sat 06-Sep-08 14:07:00

Its just that these Athletes do not get the same coverage as the "normal" Olympics but why?

I love watching sport & am amazed at the achievements of ALL athletes & I can't work out why the Para Olympians are treated differently.

The other Olympics was on BBC1, live coverage & then highlights in the evening.

GB has such a successful paraOlypmic team surely the coverage should be equal.

amber32002 Sat 06-Sep-08 18:43:17

It should be, yes. But at least it's more coverage than previous years, and China is so very new to even admitting to the world that there are people with disabilities who can be treated as equals. I was really impressed with the opening ceremony. Originally China had produced a really insulting volunteer helper's guide to the Paralympics that described people with disabilities as “isolated, unsocial, and introspective…stubborn and controlling … defensive and having a strong sense of inferiority” (Ashling O’Connor, “Disabled Groups Outraged by Beijing Snub,” The Times, May 27, 2008). Embarrassed, the Chinese Paralympic people quickly revised the guide. They're willing to learn, which might make a big difference to millions with disabilities in China. But yes, I'd love to see lots of coverage of it on the main tele.

UniS Sat 06-Sep-08 19:50:29

Watched the opening shindig- I thought the dance troupe of deaf youngsters were fab- very well rehearsed and conducted, loved the ballet shoes on hands routine.
Curiously of course, Deaf athletes are one group you won't find competing at the paralimpics.

anonandlikeit Sat 06-Sep-08 21:00:35

Oh yes I loved the opening ceremony & agree amber hopefully it will aid inclusion in China.

Its just the coverage of the opening ceremony from the BBC was great but the actual competition coverage is still lacking. But as you say a vast improvement on previous.

Lets hope 2012 will see it given equal coverage.

BriocheDoree Sat 06-Sep-08 21:04:46

It's only on Eurosport here sad.
I LOVE athletics...it's my favourite sport to watch. If I could, I would be as glued to the paralympics as I am to the olympics. Don't understand why it's considered so "minority interest".

anonandlikeit Sat 06-Sep-08 21:07:59

Exactly Brioche, Sport is Sport, so why shouldn't we be able to watch & support ALL the athletes both able bodied & disabled.

ReallyTired Sat 06-Sep-08 22:46:52

An ex student of the school I work for is running for Great Britain in the paraolympics. It would be lovely to know how he gets on.

ouryve Sat 06-Sep-08 23:37:25

It's on for odd hours and half hours after tea on BBC2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now