Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Weekly planner required for DS, autistic, aged 4 - help!

(5 Posts)
CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 08:54:21

Hello! DS has just started his new school, and all is going well. He's been getting on his school bus without a fuss and his teachers say he's settling in really well - hurrah for DS! I'm really proud of him.

The only problem is that this morning he had a complete meldown. He's due to have a session with his ABA therapist, who he adores, and I'd put her photo on his visual timetable to let him know that this was happening. He obviously had other ideas and has spent the last couple of hours shrieking "rarry!" (his word for Granny), which indicates that was expecting today to follow our usual "Sunday routine".

I've been thinking of trying to find a weekly planner for him now that he's at school, just to help him understand the passing of time and what's coming up next. I'm sure he'll start to figure out our new routine within a few weeks, but I think he'd really benefit from something like that. Our daily planner (visual timetable) has worked well up till this point but I think he needs more now.

Ideally I want something that can be displayed horizontally, with the days of the week along the top and space for two photos/ PECS cards/whatever per day underneath, and a velcro strip somewhere so that I can stick a big velcro arrow over the correct day.

That's the kind of thing I have in my head as the idea is simple enough for DS to grasp very quickly, but I'm open to suggestions of things that look very different. However, I've done a google search and found nothing remotely like what I have in mind - has anyone else come accross something useful?

Thanks in advance!

PheasantPlucker Sat 06-Sep-08 08:57:13

Check out The Victoria Chatrt Company - they do all sorts of charts, some specifically for children with various SEN.

PheasantPlucker Sat 06-Sep-08 09:21:48

www.vchart.co.uk is the address, I just looked it up.

CaptainPlump Sat 06-Sep-08 09:39:37

I like that, but it's helped to clarify a few things.

If I put a paper chart on the wall and DS knows it's to do with him he'll just fiddle with it and tear at it until it falls down, so I'd need to put it in a picture frame to protect it and secure it properly. Either that or it has to be made of plastic!

He's also quite likely to pull the picture/ pecs cards/ symbols off the chart if he can, especially if he doesn't like what they're depicting, so (ideally, and I know this is a stretch) I'd like something that can be protected behind plastic. Somehow!

I think I might need to invent this thing myself you know...

PheasantPlucker Sat 06-Sep-08 09:53:09

The chart we have from them is kind of 'plasticised' so it can't be ripped. But maybe not strong enough for you? Good luck with inventing something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now