Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

hardly any expressive langauge at 26m - what could it be? what to do?

(6 Posts)
flirtygerty Fri 05-Sep-08 13:20:58

Saw a SALT about this a few months ago who said that my DD needed to be exposed to more very simple baby talk to help her isolate teh individual words. Have been doing this for weeksow & there is no change - no words being used at all just noises. She is very sociable & can do simple jigsaws, imaginary play etc.I'm confident that she understands me & can make herself understood but am obviously very concerned. SALT said not to contact her again until November time but that seems such a long way off if nothing is happening.

I have (very dangerous I know!) been looking on the web to see if I can find out anyhting but really am at a loss.

ljhooray Fri 05-Sep-08 14:16:35

Hi Flirtygerty, Why not until November? If you are concerned, I would insist on another visit perhaps at the end of this month in between these two sessions.

Have they ruled out anything with regards to physical ability to produce speech? If so, then you know some little ones really do wait some time, particularly if they are not frustrated by it! Music groups can be very helpful, as the desire to join in with the other little ones is often irresistible!

Best of luck and I hope an expert is browsing through this and can offer some more help than me, just wanted to show some mummy solidarity!

BriocheDoree Fri 05-Sep-08 14:28:05

Hi Flirtygerty, I'm by no means an expert as my DD has a speech and language disorder but it presents quite differently.
If you can, I would push to get more help. Try and see your GP to discuss your concerns as he might be able to refer you to someone who can check for motor issues / problems producing speech.
If you can afford it (and I know plenty who can't) try to consult a private SALT, even if it's just to give you useful strategies to help you work with / talk to your daughter. I don't know what they usually charge because I'm not in the UK.
There's a really good DVD / book called Hanen "Takes Two to Talk" which was recommended to me and has all sorts of common sense approaches to speech problems (I think you can even sometimes find Hanen courses).
There's a lady called Moondog who often posts on Mumsnet who is a SALT so hopefully she might be along later and able to suggest a few things. The fact that your DD does imaginary play is a really good sign (mine didn't at that age).
Have a look at the iCan website (www.ican.org.uk) as they are a charity dealing with communication problems.
Hopefully more people in the UK will be along later and will be able to provide more pertinent information.
Would also agree that music groups are good, as are nursery rhymes, etc. as kids often like the rhythms.
You are right to be concerned but don't get too worried about what you read on the web!! (I remember when my DD was first diagnosed that I panicked completely...grin) Like Ljhooray says, she could just be taking her time, but it's always worth getting as much support as you can.

Tclanger Fri 05-Sep-08 14:31:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tclanger Fri 05-Sep-08 14:33:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

flirtygerty Fri 05-Sep-08 18:54:06

Thanks all of you. No, TC her hearing hasn't been testes but I'm beginning to think it should be just to rule it out even though I htink it's OK. Lj thank you for the show of solidarity! Bd I'll look of that book in teh library. we do plenty of music, stories etc - perhaps it my out of tune singing she doesn't like!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now