Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The Hanen programme. Worth going? (plus a proud mummy comment)

(8 Posts)
emkana Thu 04-Sep-08 23:21:36

Had a phone call telling me that I could get a place on a Hanen course. Could anybody tell me more about this?

I'm very proud to say btw that ds has made small but significant progress with his speaking. He is saying a few more words and he has even said a few two word sentences! smile

busybeingmum Fri 05-Sep-08 02:13:02

Message withdrawn

Shells Fri 05-Sep-08 06:47:42

I'd agree with all that BBM. Very very useful and it prompted my DS to say his first words. Fabulous.

cyberseraphim Fri 05-Sep-08 06:50:19

Is it 'It Takes Two to Talk" for non ASD children with speech delay or 'More than Words' - aimed at ASD children ? We are starting 'More Than Words' in October. It is common sense but shows you how to be common sensical in regular and consistent way - at least that's what I hope/think.

eidsvold Fri 05-Sep-08 06:54:44

yes yes yes yes yes

It is brilliant - both dh and I had the chance to do it and like others have said - it sort of confirms what you are already doing as well as giving you other hints to use.

TotalChaos Fri 05-Sep-08 09:30:31

will reply in more detail later, but yes yes and yes again. If it's "It Takes Two To Talk", you will also get 4 home visits from SALT, they video you playing etc with your kid, and then talk through how to expand their language/play. So it's not just common sense advice, it's proper professional individualised advice about what to work on next with your DC. The SALT running the one I am doing are excellent. (one lady in particularly is from the ASD team, and is superb, extremely focussed, and completely non patronising).

I find being observed playing together as being more helpful in them getting a true picture of DS than the more artificial clinic tests.

you will find more info at www.hanen.org

cyberseraphim Fri 05-Sep-08 09:38:19

Yes - and you all of the above with 'More Than Words' too so will have to spruce up the house before they come to video us !

sphil Sat 06-Sep-08 08:29:33

DH and I are going on the More Than Words orientation evening next week and then DH is going on the course, as it takes place near his office. Really looking forward to it and so pleased that DH is going - it'll make a change, him telling me stuff grin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: