Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADHD/ASPERGERS on TV FRIDAY 11.30am

(30 Posts)
MrsFROSTgetful Mon 21-Feb-05 10:43:04

Schools: Social Inclusion Dramas
Fri 25 Feb, 11:30 am - 11:50 am 20mins

[Age 5-7] A Fish out of Water: Ten year old Luke desperately wants to take part in a swimming event. But his ADHD (Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder) may get him excluded.

This programme shows a lad who i believe looks more like he had Aspergers than ADHD....but who am i to question!!!?

He takes everything literally,gets teased/excluded in the playground/is distracted in the classroom/cannot apologise when teacher demands it(as he cannot see he's done something wrong)/gets excluded from a class event due to his 'behaviours'.......

aimed for kids to watch- but i loved it....try to watch it on friday!!!

ladyhawk Mon 21-Feb-05 11:10:53

mrsf will watch this what channel is it on???
Want to teach my ds2 to swim but he is absolutely petrified of the water,they start swimming at school next year and if he cant overcome this then he will be excluded

MrsFROSTgetful Mon 21-Feb-05 12:25:33

BBC2!!!

Sorry!

macwoozy Mon 21-Feb-05 12:27:34

Will defintetly watch this. I'm always on the look out for programmes about Autism/Aspergers.

MrsFROSTgetful Mon 21-Feb-05 12:47:59

i actually watched this last year- after by chance changing channels just as the programme was being introduced....but by the time i grabbed a tape i'd missed the first 5 minutes!

Davros Mon 21-Feb-05 15:18:47

Grange Hill has had an Aspie character for a couple of years. I think he's good (pupil, not teacher!)

macwoozy Mon 21-Feb-05 15:47:24

I'll try and spot him later, it's on today. Not that I've watched it since Tucker Jenkins and co.Now thats showing my age

ladyhawk Tue 22-Feb-05 11:54:05

thanks mrsf

MrsFROSTgetful Tue 22-Feb-05 19:25:10

ladyhawk- how old is your son...is he ASD???

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 10:23:21

Don't forget to watch this

A fish out of water

ADHD/AS etc

BBC2 11.30am

JaysMum Fri 25-Feb-05 10:27:18

Thanks for the reminder.....despite having the details splattered all over my memeo board....I still forgot....duhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 11:32:10

ARE YOU SAT COMFORTABLY?

I AM TAPING IT!

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 11:44:03

can u believe i am actually crying ...at the bit where the girl who is helping the boy Luke with his 'social skills'....and she's crying in the loos because she wants to help him so much.

Blossomhill Fri 25-Feb-05 11:51:35

Me too Mrs F. It just makes me realise that things aren't going to get any easier for dd. I am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. Why is life so f'ing unfair????

I must say I thought he was very well behaved though!

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 11:53:52

this is why i find it so hard to accept that my boys don't need statementing....all this stuff must be going on in their heads and just because they don't show it- the schools say they are fine.

RTKangaMummy Fri 25-Feb-05 11:54:38

I was crying too at the end when he jumped in the pool and then they got the medal

lars Fri 25-Feb-05 11:55:27

If only all teacher were so kind as his class teacher. No doubt I could see in my ds class, he would of been excluded for jumping in with his clothes on and a danger to other children. larsxx

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 11:57:32

just wondering...do you see it looked more like ADHD or ASPERGERS..... it was listed as to do with ADHD....and to me it applied to both?

Blossomhill Fri 25-Feb-05 11:58:26

I must say I didn't see any similarities with dd though. She is very different.

macwoozy Fri 25-Feb-05 11:59:41

I think it showed quite alot of asperger characteristics, such as not realising how his behaviour is affecting the other kids, good programme.

MrsFROSTgetful Fri 25-Feb-05 12:00:20

glad u saw it macw

coppertop Fri 25-Feb-05 12:00:41

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was in tears.

I must admit it seemed a lot like AS to me but then I don't know a lot about ADHD and how it overlaps with AS.

The bit with the party invitations seemed familiar.

macwoozy Fri 25-Feb-05 12:01:56

Yeh I found the party invites upsetting too

macwoozy Fri 25-Feb-05 12:05:56

Mrsf, looking forward to the next one you mentioned. 2pm, teachers channel, about speech and language problems in primary school

JaysMum Fri 25-Feb-05 16:47:28

Both J and I watch the programme together....snuggled under the duvet...he's not been very well....saw last nights supper at 4am !!!!

J watched....then when the lad stuck his head in the fishtank said "well that makes sense to me".

half way through when the teacher was calling the boy stupid and giving him a boll**ing....j said "thats what they did to me"...."not nice is she....she doesnt understand."

I sat crying my eyes out.....when J said "I'm just like that". I know he is so aware now he is older that he is different....but I constantly tell him so am I!!!

Definatley think the boy showed more traits of Aspergers than ADHD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now