Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Son Rising in Edinburgh

(5 Posts)
cyberseraphim Wed 03-Sep-08 10:15:47

Raun Kaufman - who I think is the son 'rescued' from autism by his parents is giving a talk in Edinburgh soon. His story is certainly a very interesting one although my main source of info is a weepy made for TV movie which gave only an overview of how the miracle had happened - non verbal, IQ supposed to be 30 into a child with normal language and an IQ supposed to 130. (Is it suspicious when they just randomly add on 100?)

As far as I can make out the main criticism of Son Rise is that it over sells and promises outcomes that might not be achievable for all children but that the parents are led to part with large amounts of money before they find this out. The ideas, as far as I know anything about them, seem similar to the play therapy we have just started at our local hospital and I am seeing results from that already. However we don't have an intensive program and we are not paying anything up front (but obviously we do pay through taxation so I don't class it as free). They did also say at the outset that it's only a hospital, it's not Lourdes.

I'm not sure if I'll go to the talk or not ...

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 03-Sep-08 10:28:30

The main criticism I have of son-rise is that if your child doesn't develop speech (either because of language problems, or because of dyspraxia) it doesn't really offer any alternative. I think it can be good for a child who is going to develop reasonably well anyway. I'm not sure about the shutting away in one room all the time either.

It suits some families though and it helps some children a lot and others a little.

Growing Minds combine Son-Rise with ABA in their programme which I think is a good way of doing it (although I prefer an ABA/Floortime approach for us - although we're actually not doing that at the moment either we're doing something completely different!).

cyberseraphim Wed 03-Sep-08 10:34:07

I certainly won't be signing up for the course but it might be interesting to hear him speak about his childhood. But then again, it might be like Time Share and I won't be able to get out until I've agreed to give them all my blood. They didn't show the shutting away in a room in the film, that sounds weird.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Wed 03-Sep-08 11:25:10

The therapy is carried out in a room with white walls - and because its intensive the child doesn't get much of a chance to go out. I don't mean that they shut a child in a room and leave them.

I think the free talks are fine. My in-laws went to one and said it was interesting.

cyberseraphim Wed 03-Sep-08 11:40:12

The hospital set up is like that - a room with white walls and no chance to get out - but is for 2 hours with break for snacks and the second hour includes group time. Although we've only had our first session, I was very impressed with how it was done and we already have new games to play at home. In the film, the therapy seemed to take place in their large kitchen/diner with lots of supportive family and friends dropping in to help out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now