Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Developmental Psychologists- a few questions

(5 Posts)
usernametaken Tue 02-Sep-08 20:38:26

My HV has some "complex" concerns about DD, they want to refer her to the Dev Psych. We agree with the concerns.. mainly because we raised them first! We would like to get the ball rolling, but it seems that we will have a 6month wait to see the Dev. Psych. We want to help DD sooner so are considering a private Dev Psych. How does one go about finding one? What is the approximate cost to see one privately?
Mnay thanks.

TotalChaos Tue 02-Sep-08 20:41:36

if you are anywhere in Bristol/South West area,BIBIC has a very good reputation, quite a few MNetters have been there and felt the advice was very constructive (

also find out whether you can self-refer (or if not, whether HV can refer) to portage ( "Portage is a home-visiting educational service for pre-school children
with additional support needs and their families."

usernametaken Tue 02-Sep-08 20:50:20

Thank you for such a speedy reply. The HV (and us) suspect 'Selective Mutism'. She will start school next year so we are keen to get her some help before she has to go to school.

TotalChaos Tue 02-Sep-08 20:56:10

hmmm if Selective Mutism is the main issue, then probably portage wouldn't be appropriate then. No personal experience of SM, but it might also be worth looking for a private speech therapist with experience with dealing with Selective Mutism ( Private speech therapy usually costs in region of £50/hour, with initial assessment, including report and programme of work costing £100 ish).

usernametaken Tue 02-Sep-08 21:05:11

The HV was the person who mentioned the Dev Psych, but looking at your links, the ST seems a better fit. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: