Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

The All Beige Diet - anyone elses kid on it?

(8 Posts)
ALMummy Tue 02-Sep-08 18:07:18

My DS eats a beige, white and orange diet. I cannot get him to eat anything else. He will have a taste of brocolli or peas if I put them on the plate but even that makes him retch.

What do you all do to get fruit and veg inside them? He will drink orange and apple juice and thats it. Only eats citrus fruits. I can usually get a spaghetti bolognaise or pasta with a tomato based sauce and salmon down him by telling him it is chicken. I am beginning to despair. His sister eats anything and everything and she is blooming and healthy while he is pasty with dark shadows under his eyes. I give him a multi vitamin. Any other ideas pleeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!!!!

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 02-Sep-08 18:14:02

Ah ALMummy - the memories smile! dd had a beige phase - anything chocolate, custard, cauliflower or macaroni cheese, mashed potato, quavers, ready brek - that was about it. God it drove me nuts!

I have very little advice I'm afraid as dd is now almost 15 and still eats no fruit, no fruit flavours, no fruit juice, no fruit yoghurts nothing. She does however eat some food that is not beige (although the only veg knowingly eaten is peas and carrots) Small mercies.

TotalChaos Tue 02-Sep-08 20:49:53

no ideas but sympathies. sounds very similar to DS's diet atm!!! I wouldn't worry about the fruit, since he will eat at least one type of fruit. as for the veg - god knows, the only veg DS eats is on pizza margherita and tomato ketchup.

some fruit juice combination drinks contain carrot juice (V8 is the brand), and I try to delude myself that carrot cake is sort of veg.

Saker Tue 02-Sep-08 22:49:09

Would he eat beige, white and orange veg or does he object to all veg? I could make suggestions for veg of those colours (or maybe soup made out of them) e.g. cauliflower, white part of leeks, carrots, celeriac, squashes, orange tomatoes, orange peppers, sweet potatoes, yams. Pears are a sort of beige/white - maybe try stewing pears or making them into crumble? Apricots and melons are orange and so are some dried fruits. Don't know if that helps - I may have entirely got the wrong end of the stick about why he is not eating fruit and veg.

sphil Tue 02-Sep-08 22:50:32

DS2 is also largely a follower of the All Beige Diet - the only other colours in his diet are pale green (grapes)and bright orange (mango sorbet). I get veg inside him by processing it small and mixing it with the potato or mince in his fish cakes/shepherd's pies. Specks of green in an overall beige dish he'll cope with, but a whole green item is rejected. Oh, and he'll eat hummus, which I count as a vegetable hmm and which is, of course, beige...

ALMummy Wed 03-Sep-08 16:48:12

All veg is an issue. I sometimes cook up pasta sauces with tomato, onion, butternut squash, carrots and broccoli, blend and then use with mince to make spaghetti bolognaise but I think he is becoming suspicious and how much nutrition is actually in there after all the cooking and blending? He eats pizza but even then I have to pick off the green specks of herbs. There is no way to disguise veg in shepherds pie etc as he will not eat anything like that either.

Just had a thought that I may be able to get white grape juice into him by telling him it is apple juice.

Thanks for ideas. Every day I worry about his future health because his nutrition is so poor. Aaaaaaargghhhhh!

Saker Wed 03-Sep-08 19:06:12

I don't think you should worry too much - at least he is getting some juice and citrus fruits and tomato sauce and the multivitamin too. I wouldn't think he is going short of any major nutrient and I bet there are plenty of other NT kids who don't eat more fruit and veg than that. Could you get away with orange and mango juice for a change from just orange - it looks just the same?

sphil Wed 03-Sep-08 21:11:16

Or pear juice - James White do a good one. It's the only juice DS2 drinks, because he's allergic to so many fruits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now