Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

maternity grant

(15 Posts)
rascalboys Tue 02-Sep-08 13:36:24

Hi - I get higher rate child tax credit, but only because I get DLA for DS1.

Does anyone know if I will get a maternity grant due to this?

I have looked on the site and it says anyone getting higher than the family element CTC would get it but don't they want to know your income too?

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 13:37:34

i dont know.

apply for it and see. they can only say no right?

Mitchell81 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:56:30

If you are taking about the surestart maternity grant, yes I think you can get it.

rascalboys Tue 02-Sep-08 14:52:48

Hi Mitchell, yes that's the one.

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 14:57:33

yes, you can get it if you get higher than the family element of CTC. DH did when he was a SAHD with Dd1 so we got hte grant for Dd2.

i didn't have to send them anything extra, he took it to a JobCentrePlus to send it off - as long as it's got your NI numbers on it they can look all that information up (what your TC award amount is, if you're on IS or income-based JSA, etc.).

the only time they asked for extra documents is if you're applying for an adopted child or on behalf of someone under 20 having a baby or that kind of thing.

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 14:58:51

expat, u can apply again for your ds?

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 14:59:49

yes, because this time, i get higher than family element CTC .

rascalboys Tue 02-Sep-08 16:03:59

We get CA, DLA (middle rate carers) and I get some of the disability element of CTC (not all of it as DH earns an okay wage).

This is why I wasn't sure if I'd get the grant, I wondered if there was an income limit at which it would stop or whether it wasn't means tested at all.

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 16:06:17

it is means-tested, in the sense that you're not eligible for it if you get less than the family element of CTC, don't get WTC w/disability element, income-based JSA, IS, etc.

rascalboys Tue 02-Sep-08 16:08:21

we don't get any WTC at all. Hopefully the higher CTC due to DS1 getting DLA will be enough then - we could certainly do with the grant!

This is a surprise baby and we'd just given all things baby-like away!

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 16:09:15

it will be. you or your partner just have to get one of them to qualify.

rascalboys Tue 02-Sep-08 16:10:44

Thanks ex-p

expatinscotland Tue 02-Sep-08 16:13:12

you can't put it in until 11 weeks before the baby is due, so around the 30 week mark.

your midwife has to sign off on it, too, to show that you are really pregnant.

and then you have to turn it in at a JobCentrePlus.

go for it!

we're using ours to buy a car seat, a sling and some nursing stuff, and the rest i'm keeping back because we will need to have the LPG tank filled in October to turn on the heat and keep wee one and his sisters arm.

misdee Tue 02-Sep-08 16:20:09

you can print off the forms online and then fill them in. mine are all done ready to be signed off next week when i go for a clinic appointment. i picked uop the envolope last week for it, so wil lget it in ASAP

FioFio Tue 02-Sep-08 17:08:33

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now