Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD moms....Info needed by TOMORROW!!!!

(64 Posts)
JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 17:25:33

I have been in contact with a Professor who is big in the ASD world......got to try every avenue to get my J the help he needs.....he is still hitting himself with anything that he can get his grubby little mits on....and still saying he wants to die.......

He has had a look at J's paper work for us and asked us tons of questions via email and phone today.

He has told us to phone Guys Hospital tomorrow morning and speak with Dr Gillian Baird......I'm sure I have heard her name before.....who is she?
She will be expecting our call........
I didnt want to appear a total numbskull because the Prof was talking about her as if I should know who she is!!!!!!

He is sending all the info we have given him this afternoon to Dr Baird so she will know what I am talking about when I phone tomorrow at 10.30......just wish I knew what I was talking about sometimes????????

Can anyone fill me in???????

Cheersxxxxx

Potty1 Sun 20-Feb-05 17:30:57

Just googled her for you Jaysmum - Consultant Developmental Paediatrician - sounds like a good contact. Hope you get somewhere with this.

Tiggiwinkle Sun 20-Feb-05 17:31:46

Jaysmum-Ie you do a search on Yahoo it brings up quite a lot about her (sorry-cant do links!)
She is described as "one of the countrys leading experts on autism."

Potty1 Sun 20-Feb-05 17:32:34

here

Fran1 Sun 20-Feb-05 17:33:53

Typing her name in the searc bar says she is a consultant developmental paediatrician at the royal college of paediatrics and child health.

There are loads of links with her name in if you wanted to read them.

But the name sounds familiar to me too, i wonder if she has published a book or something?

Fran1 Sun 20-Feb-05 17:34:08

o i c others beat me to it

tamum Sun 20-Feb-05 17:36:57

There have been lots of mentions of her on here, I think by Davros and Jimjams, so looking back through old threads might help a bit too.

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 17:44:02

Thanks....why didnt I think of Googling......

would be useful if someone who has seen her could give me a bit of info.......Im sure Davros was the one who mentioned her.
Davros was it you?????

tamum Sun 20-Feb-05 17:50:32

Davros mentions how good she is here and there's another discussion that talks about her here . It sounds as though you're doing very well to get access to her at all to be honest! I hope she can help.

Jimjams Sun 20-Feb-05 17:51:47

yep she's good- well done!

MrsFROSTgetful Sun 20-Feb-05 18:42:10

OOOOH! I am in envy!

Sure she was the one who Jaquie Jackson had her son Joe assessed by on the t.v programme "My Family & Autism"

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 19:33:28

Thanks Tamum for adding the links....reassuring that others here have met with Gillian Baird.

Just hoping and praying now that we do not have to have a referral from our Paed.....he was the one who refused to support our atttendance at Elliott House because he said that he didnt think a diagnosis would benefit J in any way....we have a statement and a placement at special school....so what more did we want for J?

To know for sure that our son has Aspergers,was not a good enough reason according to the Paed.

Just so angry that the PCT agreed to fund us if the Paed agreed it was necesary....because he wrote back to PCT saying he didt think it in J's best interest,PCT withdrew funding. Im just hopng that the PCT wont refuse us this time.

Bumped into our GP at lunchtime and he said he would support us 100%....so fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Will keep you posted.

Socci Sun 20-Feb-05 19:38:00

Message withdrawn

Davros Sun 20-Feb-05 20:45:11

Here I am! Yes, GB is very good and helped us immensely, she is so well respected. She was the first person we saw who was able to do anything with DS, it was amazing. She is also a very nice person, I bump into her now and then at NAS things and she is always very friendly. She's quite "jolly hockeysticks", slim and around 55, married. Can't remember any more about her, hope that helps you visualise her! Let us know what happens, very exciting!

stupidgirl Sun 20-Feb-05 20:49:57

Excuse me for hijacking your thread for a moment, but is 'self-harming' a common aspect of AS?

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 21:19:31

Ive leant all my books to a friend who lives miles away so I cant have a read about self harming......Ive had a read up on some sites but cant find much about it either....do any of the other moms here with ASD little 'un experience this?

stupidgirl Sun 20-Feb-05 21:25:35

Well, my situation is that I have a ds who I believe has AS, although the dr we've been referred to is denying it. This is his latest thing - he's always been fascinated by the marks left on his skin by his clothes - y'know where they make little indentations? He frequently pulls his trousers down to feel the indentations. The latest thing is that he's started digging his nails into his skin. I'm not sure it's self-harming per se, but it has the same end result. I'd never read about self-harm being related to AS, which is why my ears pricked up when it was mentioned.

Davros Sun 20-Feb-05 21:52:09

Self-Injurious behavior (SIB) would be associated with ASD and possibly AS. Self Harming is different and more psychologically/depression related but therefore could also manifest in AS as people with AS often suffer from depression. I would look at the NAS website to see if there's any info.

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 22:16:11

Stupidgirl....that is exactly what J does....he puts elastic bands around his arms and legs to make the indentations..he also hits himself in the head with anything he can lay his hands on thats heavy....he says it does not hurt when he does it....He also head bangs the wall frequently.
The first time he scratched his arms was last tuesday....he did it with a ruler he snapped in half....he draws on his arms a lot too and had done this before he scratched into them with the ruler.He broke his elbow quite badly last summer and he would sit and bang the plaster against a wall for hours on end...he said he liked it and it didnt hurt.He has a very high pain threshold.

I am really worried about him.....and even more worried that it is a psychological problem and not related to his ?AS. Just hope we can get it sorted for his and our sake....oldest boy is very upset that J keeps hitting himself....hard to explain to R why J is doing this.

He hits himself when there is no obvious reason....he isnt upset when he hits himself...and nothing has caused him upset.....just very worrying.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sun 20-Feb-05 22:17:05

Boo!

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 22:17:41

Ha ha ha BOO Back

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sun 20-Feb-05 22:17:44

For the first time ever this week dd hit herself in the face when she was angry. I was so shocked so know how horrible it is x

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sun 20-Feb-05 22:18:08

So will I get to meet you in March then as you are such a busy bee

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 22:21:57

J has banged his head since a baby in the cot.....he would bang the sides with his head so hard I would cry....he never did.

The hitting his face started about 2 years ago when he wa shaving really bad problems in school....he would do it and say I am stupid over and over again.

The worst thing is watching him do it and he laughs when he does....Im getting so very worried. He picked up a sledge hammer today out of the garden and said he wanted to die......everyone was playing and he was watching them...he wouldnt join in. I feel so sorry for him....I dont know what to do anymore.

JaysMum Sun 20-Feb-05 22:22:47

Hope so Bloss....maybe the 30th at BIBIC....will chat sooner....have got to go.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: