Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

quick - filling in carers allowance form

(6 Posts)
knat Mon 01-Sep-08 16:09:09

Been awarded middle rate personal care and lower rate mobility for dd on DLA. So I understand i can qualify for Carers Allowance. It says it can affect teh DLA- is this the case? or do you just get it as well as DLA (dd is nealy 5 by the way). Thanks

mrspitt Mon 01-Sep-08 18:18:44

Hi i have just received middle rate for personal care and was awarded carers allowance aswell. AFAIK it doesn't affect the DLA. You need to be in receipt of DLA to qualify for carers allowance and earn less than £95 per week.

I also got more in tax credits because of the disability element. So, if you haven't informed tax credits of your dla award, you should because it will be backdated and you're tax credits should increase. (if you receive them that is?)
hope that helps smile

Graciefer Mon 01-Sep-08 18:26:30

I may have miss understood mrspitt, but you don't actually have to be in reciept of DLA, in order to qualify for carers allowance.

As long as the person you are caring for does (and this includes you claiming on your childs behalf) and that you earn less than the stated amount, you can claim it.

To answer the original question, it has never affected my DS's DLA claim, nor my mothers when I was caring for her and claiming CA. Nor have I heard of it affecting anyone elses DLA, so not sure why they say that.

Not of much help I know.

Tclanger Mon 01-Sep-08 19:05:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

staryeyed Mon 01-Sep-08 19:15:47

I dont think it effect any part of DLa but may affect other benefits:

"If you claim Carer's Allowance, it could affect the amount of benefit the person you care for receives.

The person you care for could lose the severe disability premium in their income-related benefit or the addition for severe disability in their Pension Credit. If you only have an underlying entitlement to Carer's Allowance and are not actually paid it, this will not affect the benefits of the person you care for."

knat Tue 02-Sep-08 09:52:04

thanks everyone - i've submitted it and we'll see. I get middle rate presonal care and will get low rate mobility in October when she becomes 5. I've spke to tax credits and they're going to up those as well - don't know how much by though - will have to wait and see. thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now