Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I imagining things ?

(5 Posts)
cyberseraphim Sun 31-Aug-08 19:52:37

DS1 (ASD) loves bridges. Today he told me there was a bridge in the dining room. I went to look and he was using a place mat as a bridge on the floor. Is this just object substitution to pursue an obsession or could it be considered to be the beginning of imagination ?

TotalChaos Sun 31-Aug-08 20:10:28

I would definitely see it as the beginning of symbolic play. Took DS about 15 months to go from moving sauce sachets around like cars to pouring imaginary water into his windmill water toy.

kt14 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:29:32

cyberseraphim, that's spooky, my DS1 has taken to making bridges everywhere all of a sudden, and running across the kitchen in an odd way pretending he's going over a bridge. I'd come to the conclusion it was the early signs of imaginative/symbolic play too.
He calls them "bodges" though, which I love!

cyberseraphim Mon 01-Sep-08 14:11:52

Wow that is spooky ! They are 'didges' here. It's got to be a good rather than a bad sign so congratulations to the little bridge builders !

TotalChaos Mon 01-Sep-08 19:01:26

actually ... one of the early things DS did was to take all the chair cushions off to make them into a bridge for him to walk over(!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now