Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
Last minute jitters re MMR tomorrow - POV needed(37 Posts)
My 14 month old DD2 is having her MMR tomorrow. First time round we debated it and DD1 is absolutely fine, however DD2 has global development delay. Her development is improving through intensive therapies. She doesn't really show any ASD traits. We have talked about this so much with various professionals and DH and I came to the conclusion that yes we were definately happy for DD2 to have the MMR and not separate jabs. However, tomorrow is the day and until now I have been happy with our decision but now I'm looking for some reassurance or actually any points of view. What does everyone think?
Thanks Riven, it's the measles that bothers me most, especially as there is an epademic at the moment in our area because there is little take up of the MMR. We are just starting to make progress with her (a very long way to go) and I can't bare the thought of anything undoing all our hard work and am not happy about risking it. I'm on the verge of bottling out tomorrow.
By the way I'm new to mumsnet and not sure what aa and sp mean???
I had all the immunisations for my children - the elder is ASD and the younger is not. I never had any concerns about any possibility of a link for either of them.
I feel very similarly to you (not wanting to jeapordise progress) with DS. He's 4, and has language delay, supposedly probably not ASD. Even though he was OK with first MMR, I don't want to risk a second dose (especially as he may not even need it anyway).
Totalchaos, how come you went ahead with the 1st MMR and not 2nd, I thought the 1st was the biggy? I feel with everything we've been through with DD2 (this would be an essay if I told you) I can't bare the thought of her getting measles, that would be enough to tip me over the edge I think.
Thankyou cyberseraphim for your words of confidence.
DS's problems only really became apparent once he was , so quite a few months after 1st MMR
My older daughter has GDD too and is now 10. She had both doses of MMR at the appropriate times and it really made no difference to her progress. I also had no concerns about giving it to her or my younger child.
Totalchaos, Do you link DS's problems at all to the 1st MMR?
LeonieD, have your children had any vaccinations? or are you just skipping MMR?
No, I don't link his problems to first MMR. But because if he's not on the autistic spectrum, he's pretty close IMO, I don't want to take any further risks with him.
I know it is rare but measles can have very serious complications.
I have had lengthy talks with DD2's paediatrician and she has basically told me that if DD2 was to catch measles she would be in a much worse state than she is now. I do actually have a lot of respect for her and she has been with us the whole journey and been a rock, but I also know everyone in the medical profession is pro MMR and never going to tell me not to do it.
So, I do want her to be immunised, but now thinking separate not MMR
I've never understood how it could be a privacy issue (I'm normally concerned in this area too) when all the priviliges (funded by the taxpayer) that the family enjoyed were a matter of public record - hairdressers for Cherie costing £5000 per trip, country houses free of charge etc.
Wish I had the answer...DD due her booster, DS due his first shot and I'm playing for time because I can't make my mind up. Actually, I think mumps is the bad one. Knew someone who died of meningitis brought on by mumps (long time ago, though) and it can cause sterility in boys. Having said that chicken pox can also lead to all sorts of complications if you aren't lucky and they don't often vaccinate against that. Don't think the original vaccine affected DD in any way but still afraid to try with DS...and I'm usually pro-vaccination.
Well I bottled it, I called this morning and said she was too unwell to have it! I declined to re-arrange the appointment so DH and I need to have another think.
Re BriocheDoree's comments. All of DD2's problems are because she got chicken pox at 6 weeks old and was hospitalised with it. We have come through being told she's completely deaf due to nerve damage, got brain damage from it, and is now tactile defensive too due to her having created sub-conscious memory of having her arms pinned down and needles put in her. She spent several months afterwards with her arms behind her or up in a defensive stance. So want to do everything I can for her so she doesn't get measles mumps or any of them.
I am pro vaccination, however for me the decision is MMR or separate. I'm now thinking separate. She is only 14 months so I'm not really late with this.
can I ask a silly question? If the ASD risk is in the measles vaccine, what is the benefit of giving separate vaccines rather than the combined? Is there something in the combined which wouldn't be present in the singles? Or would you just give mumps and rubella and miss out measles? V confused.
Have decided not to give MMR to DS2 nor booster to DS1, the University of sunderland booklet (just doing their urine testing thanks to jimjams advice) explains the link they believe exists between the MMR and the onset of ASD and although it is rare, it certainly does exist according to the parents who've reported virtually instant changes in their children after the MMR vaccine. Having said that, my sister almost died from encephalitis (measles led) as a child so it's a hellish decision..
That's a great question KT. in the US, the general claim is that any vaccine can trigger autism so by their logic, if not by mine, the singles should be three times as risky yet this is what is often suggested by UK believers in vaccine causition. Exposure *in utero* to rubella is a known cause of autism so I used to think that was what the MMR thing was about - but it seems that it's not....
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.