Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

And they said he couldn't do this

(13 Posts)
amber32002 Sun 31-Aug-08 14:33:59

Another proud mum thread...

Teenage son, who has dyslexia and who struggles to write anything down or use any textbook, got a B in his GCSE English Language, a year early!!!!! grin

So much for his old school who said he was pretty thick and would never amount to much, eh? He has had to work SO hard to get that grade, and needed so much help from the school, but he got there! Plenty more nightmares for him with his other GCSEs this year, but what a result - so proud of him.

Peachy Sun 31-Aug-08 14:37:15

Oh wow! What a clever lad, he must have worked so hard smile

I hall show this to ds1 and ds2- ds1 has dyslexia with his ASD, ds2 just dyslexia

fab.

magso Sun 31-Aug-08 14:51:09

Brilliant! Well done to ambers Ds!

KerryMum Sun 31-Aug-08 14:54:48

well done ds!

my first h had dyslexia. from what I remember people with it are generally very, very bright.

KerryMum Sun 31-Aug-08 14:57:36

i just thought of something for exams when kids have dyslexia.

I had a friend that was taking his bar exam (in the States). He broke his hand and couldn't write so he dictated his answers (very impressive to me) and I was hired to transcribe them. Granted I had to do it under supervision but perhaps this is something available for people with dyslexia.

deeeja Sun 31-Aug-08 16:25:59

Fantastic!
Well done to your ds!
smile

misscutandstick Sun 31-Aug-08 19:19:35

kerrys mum - they do have that sort of help (theoretically) its called emanuensis (or something) and there is different sorts available: scribe (for disabled entrants), reader (for dyslexics), transcribe (for children whose writing is awful!).
however -
readers can ONLY read (no helpful hints, no writing, JUST read whats written)
Scribes can ONLY write whats said by the entrant.
and worst of all: transcribes are not allowed in the room while the exam is taken, and are not allowed to talk with the entrant, but simply write what they THINK the entrant might have written, and both sheets are handed in to be marked.

Although this help is supposedly available - its incredibly difficult to access this help and it be accepted legally. Teachers cant just administer because they think it would be helpful, they have to apply on behalf of the child. and it takes forever!

HTH XXX

misscutandstick Sun 31-Aug-08 19:23:28

ooops really sorry blush

well done Ambers DS!!! that is such an acheievement! 2 of my DS's are dyslexic, and this gives me such hope!!! MUST tell them about this too, that they REALLY can do it. Thanks again amber for sharing! and WELL DONE!!!

mumslife Sun 31-Aug-08 20:51:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Piffle Sun 31-Aug-08 20:52:48

Oh amber how fabulous for him!
Really well done

Tclanger Sun 31-Aug-08 20:56:35

mumslife Sun 31-Aug-08 20:58:47

BriocheDoree Mon 01-Sep-08 11:07:44

Well done Amber's DS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now