Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dd is sooooo messy.......

(19 Posts)
ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 11:52:04

Anyone else have a child with sn that is really messy. dd is 5 and a half and has a langauge disorder and is hyperactive.
Dd has been so hyper this week and extremely messy. The thing is she really doesn't know that she is being messy and I am wondering if it could be part of her Adhd (again this is queried and the pros are split).
I just don't know how to deal with it and am getting so fed up clearing up after her. The music therapist that saw dd described her as a whirlwind, how true

macwoozy Sat 19-Feb-05 12:22:26

I know what you mean. I have spent so much of my time this week clearing up after my ds. I just had a look in the lounge to see what the little mite was up to, and hes totally engrosed with pulling apart some polysterene packaging, you know the one with the hundreds of little balls.
He thinks its highly amusing.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 12:32:57

I've been in tears with it this morning tbh. I have just had enough. She is like naughty little puppy sometimes. So mischevious, I know that sounds harsh but it's true

macwoozy Sat 19-Feb-05 12:47:39

That doesn't sound harsh at all. My ds has his super manic moments at times, and that drives me to despair but I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to have a child with ADHD. Tbh I didn't know too much about ADHD until I saw a programme about it the other week, it tired me out just watching the programme, no wonder you feel worn down. Roll on Monday when they're back at school

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 13:27:09

TBH I feel that dd doesn't have adhd as I watched that programme. I just think it's all linked in with the language disorder/communication difficulties.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 19:12:59

Apart from Macwoozy am I the only one with a messy child then

LGJ Sat 19-Feb-05 19:22:12

You are joking aren't you ??

DS not SN (and that is not meant in a smug way) had every toy he owned out all over the floor this afternoon.

Now, I am quite anal re a tidy house but as I posted on another thread I try to ignore it at the W/Ends.......well... until 5 or 6 ish........and as he was having his tea and watching the beebies I tidied up everything, didnt make a fuss and left the wooden train track figure of 8 out.

Went upstairs to get into some dossy clothes and came down to discover one whole box of stuff (and it would be the bitty stuff)all over the floor.

He was looking for his whistle.

{resigned emotion}

foxinsocks Sat 19-Feb-05 19:25:14

I think all children of that age are untidy!

Ds emptied his whole toy box this morning looking for his chelsea cards.

Dd emptied her box looking for a paper plate of food (that she had drawn) that she made for dh.

I spent the whole day getting barbie's shoes and knight's swords impaled in the soles of my feet.

coppertop Sat 19-Feb-05 19:26:34

Ds2 has the ability to trash a room in seconds. Even during his assessment it was noted how quickly the assessment room went from empty to toy-filled in the space of just a few minutes. There are times when I could quite happily velcro him to the nearest wall just so that I can reduce even just a little of the mess.

JakB Sat 19-Feb-05 19:32:47

Oh blimey, Blossom, you 'aint met my dd. She redefines messy. DD is like a spinning top, her arms get everywhere and swipe everything off every surface. And mealtimes, well, you virtually need a professional team in to clean her and the kitchen afterwards. And I have weeks were I just feel I can't cope with it or clean/tidy up after her any more. And other weeks it doesn't bother me (they're the weeks I take valium- only joking)

Saker Sat 19-Feb-05 19:34:57

Ds2 is the world's messier eater. It is certainly related to his SN as he has problems with fine motor skills and co-ordination. However he also seems to have to crumble everything before eating it, takes things off his plate and lays them in piles on the table, rubs food all over his face and in his hair. It can really get me down - I am forever wiping round him, picking up bits and hardly ever get through a meal without some of his food down my t-shirt as well! So I do sympathise about the constant clearing up.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 19:49:02

It can be so soul destroying though at times. I mean it wasn't long ago we had a new (cream - big mistake) carpet laid on our stairs and dd is drawing on the stairs and draws on the stairs. On one hand I am so pleased that she is interested in drawing and has really come on in that area. It's the crisps that she leaves crunched in the carpet. The fingerprints all over the mirror. The apple cores I find under the bed. Can you tell I am due on this week???

I honestly need a cage to put dd in for an hour while I get on as she cannot be left to her own devices for any period without doing something. I'll be upstairs and I can hear her dragging a chair so that she can get to things and opening and shutting the fridge door. Do you now dd opened and shut the fridge so much that the door fell off completely. We had to go out and buy a fridge there and then.
Ds you could always put in front of the good old telly and watch a film while I got on. Dd has an attention span of a gnat.The thing is she has improved so much lately, at school and at home. this week has not been good and I feel like we have gone back again
<<<I need a slap>>>

JakB Sat 19-Feb-05 19:53:29

Oh blimey, Blossom, you're having one of those weeks. We all have them. I had to laugh (sorry) at you being pleased that dd's drawing had come on (even on the carpet!). I know how frustrating it can be. I look at other peoples' houses jealously as ours caves in around the edges. I hope you feel better soon, honey.
FWIW- I'm having ANTOTHER one of those weeks, too

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 19:55:16

Oh honey

It all gets too much doesn't it. Even ds for the first time is snapping at dd. She is even getting on his nerves. How bad is that admitting that dd is getting on my nerves?

What's been happening your end this week? xxx

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 19:56:29

I also wanted to point out that I am finbe with "normal" mess. I love seeing dd and ds getting all of the dresing up stuff out and couldn't care less if it's all over the floor.
Superficial mess doesn't bother me 1 bit, it's the destructive bits that annoy me.

JakB Sat 19-Feb-05 19:57:02

Oh Blimey, ill AGAIN (more antibiotics) and, really, really sad news, a good friend of mine has been told she has terminal cancer
Thrown up all sorts of emotions- lots to do with her, and lots to do with me, weirdly...

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 20:15:20

Are you ill jakB or the kids???

OMG how old is your friend? That is so, so sad honey No wonder you feel the way you do. {{{hugsxxx}}}

JakB Sat 19-Feb-05 21:09:02

I'm ill again. Think I'm just exhausted. Doc thinks I may be anaemic? Anyway, yes, very sad about my friend. She's 43 and has two children, 8 and 4. Just unspeakably sad .
Out of our group of friends, we are the two who have been through 'stuff' in the past few years and we've talked about how strong we've HAD to be. She's fought so hard against this illness.

ImuststopdrinkingBlossomhill Sat 19-Feb-05 21:11:31

Oh sh*t Jak that is so, so sad
Why is life so bl**dy unfair

I hope you are looking after yourself babe as anaemia is quite serious in that you need to sort it out so you feel better xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now