Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SEN Lawyer.....Anyone know a GOOD one????

(13 Posts)
JaysMum Fri 18-Feb-05 20:15:19

Hi Guys,
Does anyone here know of a REALLY GOOD SEN Lawyer?????

NAS can not find us one in the South West at all.
Tried The Law Society....they just gave us the name of the solicitor we currently use......he has said he cant really help us anymore because he feels he is getting out of his depth.......when I started talking about schedule 19 of The Education Act.....he hadnt got a clue what I was talking about!!!!!

Surely someone here must know a good law firm who can help us??????

Socci Fri 18-Feb-05 21:52:34

Message withdrawn

Jimjams Fri 18-Feb-05 22:05:12

Just asked dh- (a lawyer in the SW) he doesn't know anyone either. I did meet a lawyer from cornwall who was big on autism, but I think he was more into geting councils to get themselves sorted- he may work on education though. He was giving a talk with Spectrum (who were very good). He seemed good to me, if he knows anything about educationj he would be good. I can't remember his name, but (and this is going to sound awful but is the most obvious way to describe him) he didn't have any arms. Spectrum may be worth chatting to just because they were very hot on autism and may well kjnow someone locally if that guy can't help.

Chocol8 Fri 18-Feb-05 22:30:39

Jaysmum - with regard to my problem with the head at the moment, (which you have helped me with) I contacted Community Service Direct - they are a confidential helpline and they really helped me.

I called on Monday and they called me back the next evening at my convenience (on the phone for ages), and gave me some really good advice/numbers/websites.

The solicitor I spoke to has 2 SN children of her own and so knows exactly what she was talking about - very good. They also deal with debt, welfare benefit, education, employment and other.

They may be worth a try? I hope you find them as useful to you as they were to me. Their number is 0845 345 4345. x

JaysMum Fri 18-Feb-05 22:46:39

Thanks for that.....Spectrum looks pretty god and I will give them a call.
Also will get on the phone to CSD......someone else has just phoned me and mentioned them.

Jim Jams.....does the area you live in fall under Devon?????
If so I was just wondering what your parent partnership were like.....we havent got anyone here....she stopped because of stress and the post hasnt been filled!!!!!

thanks for your support.

J's Mumxxxxxxxx

JaysMum Fri 18-Feb-05 22:47:30

Not god....good!!!!
been a long day.....and now hubby is laying a wooden floor.....going to be a late one!!!!

CountessDracula Fri 18-Feb-05 22:50:27

did you see this?

Dh says try Panonis in Manchester (I think that's where they are)

JaysMum Fri 18-Feb-05 23:12:48

Yes thanks Countess. Thanks to The Count too.

Jimjams Sat 19-Feb-05 08:54:13

we're a different LEA JaysMum- Plymouth- it became a separate authority a few years ago. Is always cash strapped (as its small) so is fairly useless, but not as useless as Devon where everything is run out of Exeter. OOur parent partnership isn't too bad tbh.

MeerkatsUnite Sat 19-Feb-05 10:29:10

Jimjams,

Have a look at this website:-

http://www.educationlawassociation.org.uk

They may be able to put you in touch with someone who could help you.

Davros Sat 19-Feb-05 10:29:11

I saw a great one present at an NAS conference and I'm sure he was somewhere over there. I'll dig out the info. I also know of a few others who would probably travel, dig that out too if you want.

MeerkatsUnite Sat 19-Feb-05 10:32:25

www.sinclairslaw.co.uk/education

Sinclairs may slo be able to advise you further.

HTH and good luck!!

MeerkatsUnite Sat 19-Feb-05 10:37:10

Jack Rabinowitz, at Teacher Stern and Selby,

Tel: 020 7242 3191

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now