Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS has mild Dyspraxia (according to his SALT) should I try to get him further help?

(10 Posts)
mistressmiggins Tue 26-Aug-08 20:15:11

DS (6) has been seeing a private SALT for 18 mths. She is pleased with his progress with his speech & says he no longer needs her help (which is great)

However I have only just looked up Dyspraxia and realised that this might explain his appalling handwriting and lack of hand/eye coordination with simple things like catching a ball.

Should I try to get him further help or just accept that he wont be good at ball sports (he's not bothered and enjoys other sport like Karate) or would further help improve his handwriting?

I have looked at other threads and the support groups on the net but value MN opinion.

daisy5678 Tue 26-Aug-08 20:38:37

My J has had weekly OT for fine motor skills (really poor handwriting and can't use a knife and fork) and then a block of weekly OT for gross motor skills. It helped massively, not just with the skills themselves, but also with confidence.

If you can afford private SALT, I'm guessing you can probably afford private OT, which would be great as the NHS waiting list is huge - J waited over 6 months to be assessed and I think that was quite quick compared to others round here!

I would get GP/ school to refer to NHS OT dept for assessment OR go private for an assessment.

Good luck.

mistressmiggins Tue 26-Aug-08 20:58:49

thanks for that
I couldnt really afford the SALT but my DS saw 2 NHS therapists and after the 2nd went off sick without a replacement, I didnt feel I could wait.
DS's speech was terrible but his SALT has worked miracles.

He is very intelligent and doesnt seem to be bothered by his lack of ball sports or his handwriting but I obviously dont want to leave it if I should be doing something. He is also extremely confident in his own abilities.

I will make an appointment to speak to my GP and see what she says.

I dont want to stress DS by taking him to the GP incase he thinks something is wrong.

mrz Tue 26-Aug-08 21:06:48

To be honest I don't think a SALT is qualified to diagnose dyspraxia any more than the man in the corner shop. If you are concerned ask for a proper assessment.

daisy5678 Tue 26-Aug-08 21:10:18

You don't need to take DS to the GP; you can just ask for a referral, I think, even in writing. Or school can refer, if they think it's necessary.

I think it's best to go on the side of being over-zealous than not - partly because I ignored my son's issues for too long and wish he'd had more help earlier sad.

An assessment won't do anybody any harm. If he doesn't need OT, they'll say so. If he does, he will (hopefully hmm ) get some. The assessment is just games, throwing balls etc.so he won't think that means there's something wrong.

OT has helped J masses.

mrz Tue 26-Aug-08 21:32:22

Madeleine Portwood
and here

MetalMummy Tue 26-Aug-08 21:55:45

My DS2s SALT wrote to our GP asking him to refer DS2 to a paediatrician because she felt he had other problems besides his speech. He was diagnosed with dyspraxia in May and has since seen OT who have also referred him to physio. (Now waiting for OT to start and physio referral)

expatinscotland Tue 26-Aug-08 22:11:12

yes, get him a referral to a paed and hte paed can refer him to an educational psychologist.

even mild dyspraxia can affect his schooling.

DD1's is severe, but she is getting help, thankfully .

mistressmiggins Wed 27-Aug-08 08:49:51

how do I get a referral without going to my GP?
also wont they just think I'm over reacting?

daisy5678 Wed 27-Aug-08 10:26:44

Just write to GP and set out the issues you're concerned about and ask for a referral.

No, they won't think you're over-reacting because I'm guessing that they don't know your son particularly well, and in any case, GPs tend to assume that you probably have a valid concern unless the have evidence otherwise or old-school anti-therapy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now