Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cat Sh*t

(10 Posts)
anonandlikeit Sat 23-Aug-08 22:34:18

I know this is not a problem exclusive to SN but can someone please tell me how to stop the neighbours cats shitting in my garden?

I start each day with a look around the garden & clear the nightly deposits but must of missed some this morning.

I only discovered that I had missed some when ds2 walked all through the house to find me saying "it smells".
He had trod in & fallen over (cp & asd so wobbly)in it. It was on his shoes, splints, knees, & hands.
He was screaming because he didn't like the smell but didn't know not to walk it through the house so it was also in the conservatory & dining room.

So i've spent most of the day cleaning the stuff up, I still don't know how I am going to get it off the velcro on the splints, i've cut off as much as i dare.

Anyway I just wish they'd learn to crap in their own bloody garden.

Rant Over

vicsta Sat 23-Aug-08 23:00:24

You can get some powdery stuff from the garden centre/homebase/B&Q etc but IME it didn't have much of an effect. Also, they are supposed to dislike orange peel, but how much you need and what you do with it I don't know. Not much help am I? Evil me says to teach DCs how to aim with a rather large water pistol - that'll teach them. I swear, there is a cat that comes to my garden deliberately to piss me off. It sits by my back gate glaring at me, looking soooo smug. What type of velcro on splints? Colour? Backed with leather or not? If you are any good with a sewing machine I could steal you some velcro from work (on ML myself but only live round corner). We make said splints.

HappyBunnie Sat 23-Aug-08 23:02:35

stand guard with a water pistol....try pepper or orange peel....or best of all get a dog! thatll stop it! not too practical though maybe...sorry. (i am a cat lover but i can totally understand why that would piss anyone off! mine come in and use a litter tray.)

supportman Sat 23-Aug-08 23:19:41

I think you can get an electronic device to keep them away that uses a high frequency noise that cats hate but can't be heard by humans.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 24-Aug-08 07:07:22

We've used an electronic device (I think bought from B & Q) and these work well.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sun 24-Aug-08 08:48:54

You can get lion dung (although I think it smells itself - so the bought stuff must be treated)- Apparently in the flower beds and the cats keep away.

anonandlikeit Sun 24-Aug-08 09:58:40

Thank you all for the ideas

I think i'll try one of those electronic device thingy's, as long as ds2 really won't be able to hear it grin

So far i've tried pepper, oranges & lemons & some stuff in a spray bottle called Catapult from the DIY shop NOTHING WORKS!

I'm sure my garden must be some sort of nocturnal cat gang hangout.

I'll also try a water pistol its kinder than dh's alternative.

Thanks vicsta the velcro is the material strips that are attached to the hard plastic with rivet type things. I've given them to my mum (luck her) but if she can't get it off completely i think i'll give orthotics a call he is about due for a new pair anyway.

I'm sure i had the same trouble last year with the cats.

LeonieD Sun 24-Aug-08 10:04:17

Message withdrawn

anonandlikeit Sun 24-Aug-08 10:09:30

Vicsta, just had a look at tyour profile your ds is Gorgeous - What a smile!

Graciefer Sun 24-Aug-08 10:09:30

Citronella or eucalyptus oil is supposed to work quite well. Just a few drops on some tea bags scattered around the boundary of your garden and the smell deters them.

Also you can buy an automated sprinkler type device which connects to your hose pipe. It uses infa-red and when it detects a cat it will spin to the direction the cat is and squirt water at it. I have heard that works really well and is much less boring than sitting at the window armed with a water pistol waiting for hours on end to catch the offending cats. It is however quite expensive I do believe.

If you do go down the sonic device route, please report back if it is successful or not, as since our dog died last year, our garden has become the local cat hangout also angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now