Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Info needed re allergy related Development delay

(7 Posts)
barmymumma Thu 21-Aug-08 19:16:01

Hello, I'm need of some advice. DD2 is tactile defensive and as a result her motor skills are very behind and therefore so is her overall development. We havn't gone ahead with scans or tests yet as the reason she has this is because she had lots of IV treatment when she was 6 weeks and has developed a sub-conscious memory of having her arms pinned down and needles stuck into her. So, no to scans etc as a needle in her arm could undo many months of hard work. She has weekly OT and physio and have just completed 6 weeks of deep pressure brushing and joint compressions which has helped a lot. I am aware of allergy related autism and how cutting our wheat and dairy can help enormously, but I have also heard this may be useful for a child with general development delay. Am I right? Any feedback would be greatly appreiated as I think I can handle making her dairy free but wheat free seems like a total nightmare. I should also say my DD2 is now 14 months. Thanks for reading.

Seuss Thu 21-Aug-08 21:58:40

Sorry don't know but bumping...

PipinJo Fri 22-Aug-08 00:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tclanger Fri 22-Aug-08 10:06:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pagwatch Fri 22-Aug-08 10:53:44

if its any help
My DS1 is NT but went gfcf when his brother did and had huge improvements in things like concentration, sleep and sensory issues.

misscutandstick Fri 22-Aug-08 14:04:31

havent anything to add but just want to second what pagwatch said, my DS5 is GF/CF and i could tell the difference in him (went milk free first, then gluten free 5wks later) within 5days of stopping the milk! Admittedly going gluten free made his 'mannerisms' worse for just over a week, but hes just picking back up now (10days in) DS5 has no Dx but displays symptoms of Autism.

barmymumma Fri 22-Aug-08 14:22:01

Thanks all for the helpful info. Yesterday was our 1st day of gluten and dairy free. My new recipe book arrived today so hopefully it won't seem so scary. Out of interest, how long roughly did you all start to see changes in your children after starting the new diet? Was it relatively instant? I think DD1 would be a nightmare to switch over but if a child has reduced wheat and dairy intake does this make any difference? Thanks again for all the advise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now