Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Patronising comments from professionals

(52 Posts)
TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 16:50:02

"you can get two or three books a week for free from library for DS you know". hmm. Instead of coldly retorting that I was a regular library user, I think I should have played along and made her give me the address and phone numbers of all the nearby libraries grin

2shoes Tue 19-Aug-08 16:58:52

why?
why did she tell you that(dd loves books but rips them due to her lack of coordination)

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 17:02:29

ds occasionally answers (say 15% of the time) "who" and "where" questions wrongly - so she was suggesting using books to practice question and answers with him. (e.g. to get him to look at pictures in book and ask him "where's Spot" or "who's in the cupboard").

Tclanger Tue 19-Aug-08 17:08:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 17:13:04

actually (pounces on Tclang) - does this scenario sound familiar - when given loads of of little picture cards, and told to describe what's happening (renfrew test???) DS aces them and is not far off age appropriate. But then as described in the thread, there is some erraticness with who and where questions (though DS understanding does seem consistently to be 4 word level) , and when salt asked DS what he likes to play with at nursery, DS couldn't answer that at all.

SALT answer to this is.......lots of in-depth assessment [hmmm].

2shoes Tue 19-Aug-08 17:15:09

dd couldn't do lady and under in a test she had when she was diddy......cue 2shoes talking about ladies a lot and going under
(sorry toatlly off subject)

Tclanger Tue 19-Aug-08 17:32:49

Tclanger Tue 19-Aug-08 17:57:33

bullet123 Tue 19-Aug-08 19:43:30

TotalChaos, did you know that you open the books and READ them as well?
And some of them even have pictures in them!

moondog Tue 19-Aug-08 19:46:21

grin
Maybe I do this.
<cringe>
Thing isladies,we can't see that you are super intelligent individuals with homesstuffed to gills with books.

Problems with 'wh' question v common. Consider signing these words as markers.

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 19:47:10

omg bullet, she really was remiss wasn't she in not making that crystal clear grin

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 19:51:49

Thanks Moondog, she showed me the signs for who and where, so shall try and remember to shove these in too. DS does so much better with visual supports. Do you think that auditory processing problems are a useful thing to consider (i.e. is it just a label in your opinion for problems with language) or could something that could validly be pondered and worked on with DS?

moondog Tue 19-Aug-08 19:56:33

I think auditory processing and attendant issues is a valid area to work on, yes.
As children get older you can experiment with diff. modalities. Amworking with young lang. disordered manat moment who is fab with reading and writing but struggles with speaking and understanding.

Wehave got him a funky phone to use as comm. aid.

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 20:00:28

by modalities do you mean reading/writing? how does the comm aid work, does he type into it?

thanks v much for the comments about auditory processing. SALT today did comment about it as a possibility. When I've read about it briefly in past, one thing that didn't apply was phonological difficulties - DS pronunication has never been an issue.

coppertop Tue 19-Aug-08 20:01:57

ROFL at the revelation that you can <gasp> borrow books from the library.

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 20:03:08

little did she know that I once had a degree of CITY library infamy for being one of their most prolific book reservers blush, a lady on the desk was very pleased to meet me to put the name to the face grin

moondog Tue 19-Aug-08 20:06:26

Yes, uses it to type a message that he would have trouble saying.

Your ds is still quite small,yes?
Did you catch what I said about online reading/comprehension programme called Headsprout a few months ago?

deeeja Tue 19-Aug-08 20:22:52

This reminds me of when I took my 3 year old for his first assessment, I was asked if he actually had toys at home, since all he wanted to do was open and shut the door.
The latest is when the consultant psychiatrist asked me if I had tried a reward system for my 5 year old. HE asks me the same question at every visit. I now wonder if he is testing my reactions.

Villette Tue 19-Aug-08 20:44:47

When I brought my son back from hospital, I was bottle feeding him formula milk and the health visitor was concerned that he wasn't putting on much weight.

She asked me how I made up the milk and I said: "According to the instructions on the package," pointing to the instructions.

She then turned the package towards me and, pointing to the instructions, said in a very slow voice: Now-I-want-you-to-read-those-instructions-out-to-me."

I was so furious that I said: "I have a University degree and I used to be a deputy editor, so I think you can take it that I know how to read."

This happened many years ago but I still get angry about it.

Tclanger Tue 19-Aug-08 21:05:52

msdemeanor Tue 19-Aug-08 21:24:07

Ds (dyspraxic, Aspergers, extremely uncooperative when he doesn't want to do something)has a block of OT with his lovely understanding OT, who had a newly trained physio working with her. Physio looks through ds's file and sees recommended exercises for him. "Now, do you do these regularly with him?" Me: huge hollow laugh. 'Look, you'll see. You'll see."
I return an hour later to find ds having complete melt-down in the corner because they are trying to get him to change activity, and both OT and physio looking completely helpless. To my HUGE credit I didn't say 'I told you so' grin

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 21:35:21

oh dear some corkers here.

Moondog - funnily enough I'm about to purchase lessons 1 - 40 Headsprout for DS, as he loved the trial lessons. Is there anyway of completely avoiding import taxes on it? As I don't think you can download it, but they have to ship it to you.

Tclanger Tue 19-Aug-08 21:38:08

r3dh3d Tue 19-Aug-08 23:03:52

Lol I remember our (otherwise sensible and intelligent) paed saying: "I recommend a book called toddler taming". Er ... hello? At this point (her lowest ebb, communication-wise) she apparently couldn't distinguish between people and sofas. Withdrawing attention wasn't going to bother her overmuch. [hmmm]

Vilette - I think we had the same HV. angry Either that or there is a factory somewhere.

moondog Wed 20-Aug-08 06:23:57

Total, of coure you candownload it!
That is the beauty of it. Available anywhere from any computer. Also, Headsprout access your child's data which helps them constantly refine the programme. Tis a work in progress.
NB Don't worry about American accent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now