Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Swimming sessions for children with ASD & their families in Plymouth

(5 Posts)
Graciefer Tue 19-Aug-08 16:49:15

I had an e-mail from DS1's social worker at the weekend to tell us about 'Cool Blue', which is swimming sessions for children with ASD and their families.

I went to the first one today and it was fab, so I thought I would post about it here for anyone in Plymouth that could benefit.

They are held at Plympton swimming pool on a Tuesday & Thursday morning, they are free but you must phone and book in. The whole pool and changing areas are closed off to the public and it is very ASD friendly.

I talked to the lady who arranged it and she said that it wasn't very busy as SS were supposed to make up a newletter/leaflet about it and send it out with schools, but that never happened.

She also told me that she has got it booked for the October school holidays and that they wanted to try to get a session going on Wednesday nights during term time.

We had a great time and DS1 really enjoyed it as he loves swimming, but so far this holiday we hadn't been once as it is so stressful in the busy school holiday periods, I only wish that we had found out about it earlier.

So if you are in the area and looking for ASD friendly activities for the remaining few weeks of the holiday, why not come along.

TotalChaos Tue 19-Aug-08 17:13:43

nowhere near me, but sounds ace, hope other readers/lurkers on here can make use of it.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 19-Aug-08 19:32:52

"I talked to the lady who arranged it and she said that it wasn't very busy as SS were supposed to make up a newletter/leaflet about it and send it out with schools, but that never happened."

Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Unfortunately I can't go as I can't manage all 3 on my own, but at least some stuff is being organised.

There will be climbing 'next holiday' (not sure if that means 1/2 term or Xmas) at the YMCA near John Kitto. Will let you know when it's on.

Do you know about Piscies Disabld swimming club Graceifer? Sunday 11am-1pm Central Park. We go reasonably regularly.

sphil Tue 19-Aug-08 20:24:40

On the same theme, I've just got the info for Mallards Swimming Club which meets in Street every Sunday - it's for all ages and all types of SN, + carers and their families. I'm not sure whether anyone lives near enough, but thought I'd mention it - we're going to give it a try.

Graciefer Tue 19-Aug-08 21:06:31

Yes no surprise about SS, even after this mother had done all the arranging/leg work. You would think something like the SPIN database could be used to get information out to a target audience extremely easily, wouldn't you?

Climbing sounds good, would love DS1 to try it to see if he would get the concept of it. So please let me know, if/when there are more details available.

I really should try to make the next NAS meeting, try to get myself more 'in the loop' for these type of things.

I have heard of pisces swimming at central park and the woman I talked to today says she takes her son there every Sunday, so may check it out in the near future. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now