Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Has anyone bought their SN's kids walking shoes even though thy are not even siting up? On advice of physio?

(17 Posts)
caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 20:35:36

Hey guys, I just wondered if any of u had bought yr sn kids walking shoes/boots from clarks etc on advice from physio even though yr LO cannot sit unaided, let alone walk? And if so, did it work? Physio thinks that if Jack wears shoes then he will be more aware of his feet, so to speak...a sensory thing as he is not great at weight bearing, a lot better than he used to be...but now trying to sit on his own, holding his bottle now and much more motivated....can someone help pweeeaaase?wink

sarah293 Mon 18-Aug-08 20:45:24

Message withdrawn

caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 20:52:00

Nope?

caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 20:58:15

Anyone else help me out with this? grin

slightlycrumpled Mon 18-Aug-08 21:05:28

Hi CJM,

ds2 wouldn't weight bear untill just before he walked. I don't remember being given that advice although we did have to get boots as first shoes to help with his ankles rolling inwards.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully someone who can will be along shortly.

caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:15:00

Hey slightlycrumpled, thts ok, it is boots he has, bought them today, wat age did yr ds2 walk? Jack is 17 mnths but has genetic disorder, so he has severe epilepsy, hypotonia, global development delay, damage to brain, (damage to his left and rite temporal lobes) this affects, sense of smell, memory and co ordination

caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:16:12

Hey slightlycrumpled, thts ok, it is boots he has, bought them today, wat age did yr ds2 walk? Jack is 17 mnths but has genetic disorder, so he has severe epilepsy, hypotonia, global development delay, damage to brain, (damage to his left and rite temporal lobes) this affects, sense of smell, memory and co ordination

caitlinnjacksmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 22:19:04

BTW hypotonia is v. low muscle tone , not every1 knows wat it means wen i tell them, not meaning t treat u as if yr silly or anythingwinkthis is why he cannot sit unaided or walk etc

MehgaLegs Mon 18-Aug-08 22:22:21

My ds4 has GDD and hypotonia. He was 3 in June. He started walking in Jan 2008, having crawled for exactly a year. Our physio recommened Piedro boots from when he was about 2 1/2 and starting to try and stand.

I can sort of see where your physio is coming from with the sensory, making him aware of his feet.

theheadgirl Mon 18-Aug-08 22:27:04

My daughter has DS, and so has low muscle tone. Our physio IIRC advised shoes with an arch support once she started to weight bear. She walked at 2 years 10 months. I know its not exactly the same as your LO, but I think I can see what the physio is suggesting. And don't think it can hurt if the shoes are comfortable.

Blu Tue 19-Aug-08 10:38:53

DS is not weight bearing on one leg atm, but the physios havb issued us with a foam and elastic contraption to keep his foot in the 'walking' position, so that the tendons don't get short etc.

heartmummy Tue 19-Aug-08 11:06:10

my DD was 2 when she began to walk, i was told not to put shoes on her ( i did buy some from clarks) because she would not be able to balance she has always worn peidro boot`s and again been told not even to let her wear summer sandel`s now she need`s instep`s but every child is different my physio told me to massage her feet and tickle them encourage her to play with them it worked for her have another chat with your physio hpe this is helpful

heartmummy Tue 19-Aug-08 11:07:53

also i did bike excerise in the bath with dd to strenth her legs,

heartmummy Tue 19-Aug-08 11:10:12

also i did bike excerise in the bath with dd to strenth her legs,

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 14:36:52

yep.
we bought supportive boots from independent kids shoe stores, and then she got piedro boots through the orthotist. (still does!)
they were really useful when she was in her standing frame - not sure if you've got that far yet?

Romy7 Tue 19-Aug-08 14:38:53

heartmummy - you can get piedro sandals through physio/ orthotist. be careful with the open toe ones if dd scissors though grin

PheasantPlucker Tue 19-Aug-08 16:10:31

We had a bit of a problem with Clarks as dd1 had (has!) tiny feet, and with the fact she couldn't walk they said they could only give her those 'cruiser' styles which were pointless. We got tiny white piedro boots (size 18 I think) early on from the physio, which were miles better than anything Clarks were offering at the time. Good luck!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now