Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Didn't know what to say baout this...

(19 Posts)
sarah293 Mon 18-Aug-08 16:49:29

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 18-Aug-08 16:55:06

I doubt if she meant that horrible.
at least she was honest about it.....I supposehmm
was she amazed that she didn't have 2 heads

sarah293 Mon 18-Aug-08 16:57:01

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 18-Aug-08 16:59:53

I bet your dd is cute. I love seeing the little ones at dd;s school, thay look so diddy in their wheelchairs.

Raine3 Mon 18-Aug-08 17:16:10

I think 2shoes is very gracious .... I would feel like they were telling me your son is not such a freak after all so I'm ok with him .... I know it's hard to meet someone who is disabled (at least someone who cannot communicate with you) as you don't always know if they need or want your attentions .... but we as parents expect our children to be treated with the same respect as any able bodied child ... hmm

Christie Mon 18-Aug-08 17:16:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

deeeja Mon 18-Aug-08 17:17:20

Some people never meet children with disabilities, I suppose. But I don't see why she would be worried it would be 'horribble'. I wouldn't understand it either. Actually, now I have thought about it, I think it is an awful thing to say!
How is your dd riven?

Hecate Mon 18-Aug-08 17:17:55

find it horrible? hmm what a bizarre thing to say. Why horrible? What's horrible about a 4 year old child?

First and last meeting then Riven? grin

Flamesparrow Mon 18-Aug-08 17:20:05

How odd!!

2shoes Mon 18-Aug-08 17:20:25

i remember my first meeting with a child with sn, I was as much use as a chocolate teapot. I didn't know what to do or say.
I think you have to give people a bit of a chance tbh. if they are nice and get over it fine, if not their loss.

Flamesparrow Mon 18-Aug-08 17:23:49

There is a big difference between unsure/nervous etc and horrible

FioFio Mon 18-Aug-08 17:28:31

Message withdrawn

2shoes Mon 18-Aug-08 17:37:09

nt ones are bloody scarey.......they talk

cocolepew Mon 18-Aug-08 17:39:36

I agree with what Christie said. When we get students in the worst bit for them seems to be getting embarassed if they can't understand what the child is trying to communicate. I don't think 'horrible' was a very nice word to use, though.

MmeLindt Mon 18-Aug-08 17:41:55

If I were to meet a family wiht a child with SN I might feel a bit helpless and overwhelmed, perhaps worried that I would do or say the wrong thing but I would not be so rude as to tell the mother that I am fine actually, because although you have to cope with your DD and your DD has to live with her condition, I was not so affected by it all after all. Well, glad she was not horrified. hmm

I hope you were not too upset by her, Riven.

TotalChaos Mon 18-Aug-08 18:50:47

how kind of her to share that with you hmm. I suppose allow her more than one strike, but if she continues to be so insensitive.........I mean could't she have found someone else to share that thought with rather than the child in question's mother?

sarah293 Mon 18-Aug-08 19:18:53

Message withdrawn

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Mon 18-Aug-08 20:24:06

I'm like Fio. When it's new - bit unsure is fine. And tbh I like the people who are direct - because they at least acknowledge ds1. I have no problem with people asking questions either.

It's the ones who can't bring themselves to say the A word & the ones who look embarassed who don't have very long to redeem themselves

I don't bother with people who can;t cope with ds1 after a few meetings though. Life's too short.

Blu Wed 20-Aug-08 14:02:14

I take it it wasn't a MN-er then? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now