Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.


(18 Posts)
MetalMummy Mon 18-Aug-08 16:40:15

I could really do with your advice about claiming DLA for DS2 (4yrs) who has Dyspraxia, I have looked through the DLA forms and they are a nightmare, I just don't know where to start. The bits about the therapy that he has are OK but the rest is just so hard, how do you know how much extra care he needs? how can you put down exact minutes and how often each day? I have been sitting, staring at the damn things for over an hour and have got nowhere. Please help me, I think my brain is slowly turning to mush.

coppertop Mon 18-Aug-08 18:50:40

I'm being nosy as I'm obviously not Expat but if it's something that is needed all the time, eg supervision, then I just write "throughout" on the form instead of quantifying an exact number of minutes. The only exception is for night-time help.

Have you seen any of the on-line guides to help with the forms? The Cerebra guide is a good one.

Ds1 has a dx of ASD but also fits most if not all of the criteria for dyspraxia and it was useful for his DLA claim.

MetalMummy Mon 18-Aug-08 21:10:56

Part of the reason I'm finding it hard is because he's only 4, so I'm not sure what they would consider as being more care than other children his age.
I'll check out the Cerebra guide, thanks

coppertop Wed 20-Aug-08 17:01:11

Just bumping this for you in case Expat's around.

MetalMummy Thu 21-Aug-08 20:13:52


expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 20:30:26

Hi, there!

Do you have help from your child's paed, ed psych or therapists in filling out the form?

I did hte form in bits because it was too sad to do it straight through. I also did it on paper elsewhere before I actually filled in the form. It took me about a week, but I gave the draft of it to DD1's HV to go over.

You have to be pretty negative about his prospects, tbh.

So what I did was bullet point her care needs - for example, she is not potty trained and she gets nappies from the NHS.

Also we have to spend time every day doing physio and OT with her, so I bullet pointed approximate nuber of minutes extra we work with her.

HV helped a lot so I recommend if you can recruit any help from his paed or HV or therapists then do so.

Oddly I do think it will easier once she is older at renewal time as her learning difficulties in school become more apparent - she's already been returned at stage and granted an extra year's funding by the council to attend a private nursery with an ASN (SEN is known as Additional Support Needs here) unit to accommodate SN children.

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 20:31:13

DD1 was also 4 when she first got DLA.

At the time, she'd just been allocated a FT place in nursery to prepare her for school. We moved from the area, however.

MetalMummy Thu 21-Aug-08 21:20:35

Hi, Thanks for replying.
DSs paed doesn't want to see him again unless the OT thinks it's necessary. He has only had one initial assessment with OT and she is referring him to Physio too because she says he has no core body strength, she said that we would get a copy of the OT report and referral to physio but haven't had either yet. SALT is really good and has made a few suggestions as what to put.
At the moment we spend 45 mins a day doing SALT and about the same doing OT. He will be starting reception in September and is on school action plus, OT says that they will be going into school to sort out what he needs there.
I suppose part of the problem is realising just how many things he does have difficulty with, my other 2 kids are 7 and 5 and I've really noticed during these holidays how much they leave him out when they play, they don't do it to be horrible it's just that he can't keep up with them
I can't face looking at the forms tonight, DH is off work tomorrow so I think I'll leave the kids with him and take the forms and the Cerebra Guide to my Mums and ask for her input on them.
Thanks for your help, I think it's time for wine and chocolate now (no wonder I'm fat )

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 21:59:50

Oh, Metal! I know how you feel!

Get help for ANY therapist you can. Seriously, it's worth it.

Like your son, DD1 has little core strength, hence physio as well. DH has to do these exercises with her now because my stomach muscles have separated as am 30 weeks pregnant.

She is in the ASN nursery so she gets her OT and SALT in house.

I honestly couldn't face doing that form all at once.

I got help here, too.

Have you researched DLA here in the SN section? It's an absolute trove of information.

Socially, my child does well. She is on the quiet side, but so is DH. Motor skills are where she is most affected.

MetalMummy Thu 21-Aug-08 23:45:43

DS is quiet too, his teacher (nursery is attached to the school) says that he is "socially immature" and seems like a much younger child. His fine motor skills aren't too bad (he can build towers and thread beads with no problems, but can't hold pencils or scissors), it's his gross motor skills that are the problem. He also has little or no reflexes, if he falls forward he never puts his hands out to stop himself, he's already got scars on his nose because of it

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 23:50:16

Ah! Her fine motor skills are poor, too.

The pencil - oh NO. No handedness at all, switches hands in the middle of tasks, etc.

Has he been assessed by the ed psych?

MetalMummy Thu 21-Aug-08 23:53:55

No, it hasn't even been mentioned

expatinscotland Thu 21-Aug-08 23:56:49

can your GP refer to another paed? it sounds like this one doesn't want to know.

well, he should be assessed by an ed psych and possibly be assigned a key worker to get a statement in order (called a CSP in Scotland) for his needs at school.

DD1 is assessed by a paed every 6 months or so, a community one, but a paed nonetheless.

have you been on some dyspraxia forums?

LOTS of resources there, too.

lojoesmammy Fri 22-Aug-08 00:03:04

You should always write the form as if you were giving your child to me (for example) some one who has never met your ds, someone who you would need to tell all the worst case scenerios too. Have you cpoken to your local partnership with parents for help on filling out the form. ALWAYS PHOTOCOPY the form and keep it so you can adjust it for when you fill it out again next time.

MetalMummy Fri 22-Aug-08 00:09:14

It was a community paed that he saw.
It was actually the SALT that asked our GP to refer DS to a paed, when we took DS to the GP last year because he was falling over so much the GP said it was because he was knock kneed hmm
I think I need to arrange a proper meeting with the SENCO when he goes back to school, I could talk to someone at the local childrens centre too. My friends little boy is autistic and the childrens centre have been a fantastic help to her since he was diagnosed a 18mths ago. They helped her get a statement for him (still took a year though) and were generally just really good support for her.

MetalMummy Fri 22-Aug-08 00:14:48

What is partnership with parents?

lojoesmammy Fri 22-Aug-08 00:35:28

Partnership with parents is council funded and supposed to be for helping you fill out the forms (the cant do it for you, but they are good for bouncing things off) for a statement. They might be able to help with dla.

lojoesmammy Fri 22-Aug-08 00:36:01

herePartnership with parents is council funded and supposed to be for helping you fill out the forms (the cant do it for you, but they are good for bouncing things off) for a statement. They might be able to help with dla.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now